Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alathief Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Effect of high rise buildings on earths rotation
    Is there any effect on the earths rotation due to increase in the number of high rise building reaching to heights of nearly a mile. Especially if they are concentrated in some cities like Manhattan or Dubai.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 11:46 PM
    Interesting question.

The only thing I can think of would be that the earth is ever so minisculy more un-balanced because the center of mass has been changed. And, perhaps also by extremely slight crustal deformation due to loading.

I think both are a stretch and probably unmeasurable, but I hope this post gets a geologist's opinion.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
    It is apparent that as you build a tall building you are increasing the moment of inertia of the earth - raw materiels are mined from underground, turned into steel and concrete, and then hoisted far into the air. Hence you would expect that the earth's rotational velocity to decrease - like the ice skater who extends her arms during a spin to slow down. But the effect would be minuscule. Remember that most of the volume of a building is air, so while a building may be 1000 feet tall its mass is no more than that of a 100-foot tall hill.

In fact, I would bet that the erosion of mountains - causing silt to be washed from high altitude down to the oceans - more than makes up for whatever the effect of building construction may be.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Compared to mountain ranges with the mass of the Andes or the Himalayas, I can't imagine that a few buildings scattered here and there would have any significant effect... but I don't actually know! Cool question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Temp Rise Tooo High [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old Bryant gas forced air furnace is distributing hot air that smells HOT. This has continued beyond the early initial fall heat smell period. I measured the plenium temp at 170F after a 10 min burn time. The info plate list the Temp rise as 55-85 F; which would translate to a max outlet...

How does burning fossil fuels effect the greenhouse effect [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering how all this works ?

Total effect + income effect = Substitution effect? [ 1 Answers ]

In intermediate economics we are told that Total Effect = Income effect + Substitution effect but in advance level this relation is changed to Total effect+income effect = substitution effect why is that? Please explain with logic

View more questions Search