Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tingzguanzon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Work Permit for a G4 dependent visa
    I was hoping to seek your advise re the possibility of my spouse being given a working permit in Washington DC. I am hoping you can help me and my husband but we do not have outright sufficient resources to pay for LEGAL services, thus this email. We sincerely hope you can answer our question.

My husband and I just got married. Come early April, we got a good news that I will be transferred to Washington DC under a G4 Visa this June 2008. My husband is very hesitant to leave everything in Manila to move with me as we see the risk of him having a difficult time finding work in the US. We were informed that dependents of G4 Visa holders are not allowed to work and will need to secure a work permit which will take 6-8months processing. Also, we learned that the applicant should be physically in the US during the application process. Our concern is that if he is not allowed to work, we may not be able to manage financially. Is there any other way to better facilitate the work permit of my husband? As a newly married couple we really want to get through this situation together. We would greatly appreciate your advise.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Apply for work permit as soon as possible and while waiting for approval,
    He may work but he needs to inform the employer than he cannot be put on payroll until he receives EAD card.
    tingzguanzon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 11:51 PM
    Thanks lawanwadee... but what if embassy discovers that my dependent is working even not under payroll... will my G4 status be put to risk?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 12:04 AM
    I would say the safest choice in this case is to wait until he receives EAD card but if you can't afford to wait, that's what you should do.
    aprilvista Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 02:08 PM

I think he can work outside of US and receive payrolls, permit only if you get a work in US of I am not right. Who can help with this..
    mdara Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2010, 09:27 AM
    Hi, I am also in a similar situation like you, I am transferring my visa from H1 to G4 and I saw some articles online that my depenedent can work by taking the permission from USCIS, but how long it takes to get the permission? Also how much chances are there to get the approval from USCIS...
    Any quick reply is greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

Work permit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am from india I want to work in abrod who to apply work prmit:)

Work permit [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, Currently I am in the united states from 2004 fall with student visa as a TA and graduate students, my wife came here last year in November with dependent visa.Just before 35 days she gave birth the child in usa. Now I want to know, can I apply for work permit for her and what is the...

View more questions Search