Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmseratt Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Laws for adoption and child support after adoption
    I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he owes or will that just be dropped when the adoption is final.
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 27, 2008, 06:48 PM
    In order for a child to be adopted, parental rights have to be terminated or you must get the consent of the parent or other person who may have guardianship of the child (court, guardian, etc. Kind of scary that Arkansas state statute also says that the "spouse of the minor to be adopted" can give consent... ewwww that gives me the heebie jeebies! But anyway... ). As for if child support would continue, once adoption takes place the child is now the financial responsibility of the adoptor, the order for child support should be closed at that time. Back child support, more than likely, is actually due to the state, particularly if the child and their family have benefited from a welfare program such as ADC or Food Stamps. The state will continue to collect it's debt, regardless of if the child has been adopted...

To follow up on that though, I recommend you look at this site and check with the Child Support Enforcement agency in your area.

State Child Support Enforcement Web Sites

You can check the following site for more information on adoption in Arkansas...

State Statutes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 07:25 PM
    The bio father no longer has to pay child support after the child is adopted, the new adopted father has all the responsibility, in fact if the adopted father and the mother later split, the adopted father has to pay child support
    baby_boy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 05:36 PM
    As far as I understand from things I have read the bio parent that terminates their rights is no longer required to pay support once the adoption takes place, however if they were in arrearrs for any amount of support that debt is still their responsibility. The adoptive parent obtains all responsibilities after the adoption but the prior debt is still the responsibility of the bio-parent.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 09:55 PM

This thread is a year old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support & Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I have my great niece who I will be adopting here soon. When the mother and father both sign their rights away so their baby can be adopted by a family member do they still have to pay child support. Mother and father never married but are willing to sign her over. I have had her since she was 9...

Child support after adoption [ 9 Answers ]

I found out yesterday my 16 year old son was legally adopted by his guardian. My question is, is the birth mother supposed to continue to pay child support even after her child has been legally adopted?

Adoption Laws [ 6 Answers ]

5 years ago my SIL lost her boys and they were placed with my husband and I, we had the boys for 18 months and my SIL came to us and asked if we helped her get her oldest son back she would allow us to adopt the youngest son- she had no bond with him and knew he was in the best place. So we agreed...

Adoption laws [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is mary, I live in nj. I have a 12 year old daughter from my previous marriage and I recently remarried. My new husband wants to adopt my daughter and we need to know how to go about the adoption. My ex took off and nobody knows where he is, he hasn't paid child support in over 10...

View more questions Search