Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PSBFAN Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Hot water everywhere EXCEPT the guest bathroom shower/tub
    Hi,

First of all, I know NOTHING about plumbing. :) Here is my problem:

I have hot water in every faucet/sink and in the master bathroom shower/tub. There is no hot water coming out of either the guest bathroom tub faucet or the showerhead. I bought this house in 2005 and it worked fine up until a year ago. I just want to know if it's something I can fix (with easy, layman's terms instructions) or do I need a plumber.

I can use all the basic tools if that helps. Lol

Thanks!

Michelle
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
    There is going to be a high limiter inside the handle. Easy adjustment without turning water off. Get instructions on your model faucet.

May 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    there is going to be a high limiter inside the handle. easy adjustment without turning water off. get instructions on your model faucet.
    Where do I look on it for the model name/number? The faucet came with the house.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 08:20 PM
    On the handle

May 6, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    on the handle
    I'll give it a whirl. :)

When I find the model name/number than what do I Google to find the instructions on what to do with the high limiter thingie?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Hey Michelle:

Are you getting ANY hot water at all... how about warm water.. If no hot or warm water then the issue is not limiter screw/adjustment.. it is the cartridge inside the unit or something else reducing hot water volume to tub/shower.

If some warm/hot then certainly could be the limiter screw/adjustment.

Any chance you even have a name on faucet.. Or any chance you could post a picture here so we can see what it looks like.

I may be able to get you a specification sheet on your valve.. will make fixing this much easier... let me know... Mark

May 7, 2008, 06:19 AM
    There is no hot/warm water at all. It's all cold water.

Here's a picture. It's a bit grimy cause it hasn't been used in so long. I didn't see a name on it at all.

baybee Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Recognize the handle design the brand is Moen
    MOEN REF# 96791
    MOEN "CHATEAU" ACRYLIC LAV/KITCHEN SINGLE HANDLE (WITH SHORT BROACH)
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 08:16 AM
    YUP.. it's a moen.

Most likely there is something blocking the cartridge or the hot water inlet to the shower valve

Here is a couple pictures that should help you to iron this out.

Click on: http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/L2353pt.pdf This one has some extra parts the older model doesn't... just keep track of how they line up to everything and should be fine.

Click on attachment: moenparts2.pdf at lower left also.

Follow basic guidelines below, but work with picture that resembles the parts in your faucet.

Basically, need to shut water off to valve, then remove face plate, handle, and chrome sleeve (just pulls forward). Then will need to pull up on the copper clip you see sticking up (I use needlenose pliers), then pull the entire moen cartridge out... give a good yank on it (hold against valve body when pulling) with pair of pliers (or attach handle back onto cartridge and pull that). At this point, put rag over valve and PULSE the water real quick on/off to clear faucet of any sediment that may be in there. This is also when you confirm that hot water is getting into the valve....so have a friend pulse that water while you keep rag over it..see if water comes in through both inlets (if can pulse individually (hot and cold water ) even better). If hot water doesn't flow into valve then may need to probe the inlet a bit.. or may need to follow hot water pipe down to the nearest shutoff and investigate that next.

Then, I would just go to home supply store and get a replacement cartridge... could get the MOEN replacement or the universal replacement... both will work here. Also pick up a little plumber's grease or silicone grease.

Then grease the orings around new cartridge, install (wiggle it a bit) cartridge.. push it in REAL TIGHT... then install copper clip back in place (align both sides of clip, and push down/in... may need to TAP on clip to set it down in place again).. then replace trim and test away. That should do it for you.

NOTE! Moen has a lifetime warranty on parts... call 1800BUYMOEN, tell them the part you need (see my pic. Will tell you cartridge numer) and they will ship it to you for no charge (includes free shipping)... BUT you will need to wait 10 business days to get it! Or you could pay $12.00 and they will ship it 2 day!

Or, if in hurry, just go to home supply and pick part up.

Moen also has an online tutorial to assist you further (just read carefully)... click on:

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge

Hope that fixes all for you.

Let us know how it goes.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf moenparts2.pdf (277.3 KB, 202 views)

May 29, 2008, 08:41 AM
    I just saw your reply - I didn't get an email about it. I'm going to print everything out and try this weekend. Thank you. :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Glad you found it! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 05:13 AM
    It is a moen, but not a château. It is a positemp. I still say the high limiter is the problem. That cartridge is 35 bucks or more.

May 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I thought Moen would send it to me for free?

Also what kind of grease do I need? Is there a specific brand I need to get? Does Wal-mart carry it? (I'm on a limited budget right now - job hunting.)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 30, 2008, 11:51 AM
    They will send it to you free... takes ten business days or less... but they should send a cartridge out for free... ;)

Plumber's silicone grease is available at home depot for about $3.00

And DOUG is right about the name of the faucet... I just could not find a pic. Of the posi-temp. I don't think this is the high limit device (or temperature limit stop kit) as you stated quite clearly that you have NO HOT OR WARM WATER at all.

Doug has me wondering now, however, if you have water flowing cold from the hot side of the valve or NO WATER FLOW AT ALL from hot side..? Need clarification on this??

ANYWAY, first thing to check before disassembling the inner cartridge and everything else is certainly going to be the temperature limit stop kit (#106479 back at the posted pic.). I would adjust this stop kit to both extremes... see if maybe Doug is right and this just never got set correctly.

Then if that did not fix it, you will need to get into the guts and do as we have been discussing.

After repair is finished make sure to adjust that temperature limit stop kit so that you have HOT but not scalding hot water... ;)

Let us know what you find as you go along...

Good luck! Mark

Jun 4, 2008, 02:59 PM
    We used to get hot water and then all of a sudden one day we weren't. The water pressure decreases dramatically when you turn the handle to hot.

I'm on hold right now to order the cartridge... I keep forgetting! :) I'll just pull it apart when it comes, replace it and hope for the best.

Too bad none of you guys live in Vegas... lol

Thank you again,

Michelle

Jun 4, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Well I'm a little annoyed... I don't qualify for the lifetime warranty because I'm not the original owner of the house. I wish I would have been warned about that and I wouldn't have said I wasn't... They wanted $75 for the part which I don't have. They are sending me an email to help me unblock the spool... whatever the heck that means.

So, I'm not feeling too confident about this at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Guest Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, I live on the second floor of a condo complex, I have a 2bed/2bath Condo. I have Hot water in every faucet except the guest bathroom shower/tub. The cold water streams out with lots of pressure but once I turn the show Dial to Hot it just dribbles out and is not hot? I heard...

No hot water in bathroom shower [ 1 Answers ]

This house is 3 years old. All the house has hot and cold water but the one shower has only cold water. It is Moen and one handle in the center. Please help. Thanks

Cold water from my bathroom shower [ 1 Answers ]

Get hot water out of the faucet

Hot water everywhere in bathroom except shower [ 2 Answers ]

Both sinks in my bathroom and the tub have hot water, but I am getting no hot water in the shower although it seems as if I am getting the amount of water pressure I would get if the hot water were coming through... thank you in advance if someone can help...

View more questions Search