Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease?
    Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.
    wnk_1001 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Apr 27, 2008, 05:25 AM
    After becoming a month to month tenant, the only thing that changes on the lease is your obligation to stay there for one year. All other aspects of the lease remain in full force and effect. You signed the lease stating that you would give a 60 day notice upon your vacating the premises, therefore that is what you must do.

For example, the lease also probably says you cannot store hazardous waste in or about your premises. Just because you are now a month to month tenant, it does not mean that you can all of the sudden start storing hazardous waste.

So, it sounds like your landlord is right in that you must provide the 60 day, usually written notice.

Hope this information has helped.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 06:08 AM
    No, actually this is exactly what the 60 day notice is for, since you can not give a notice during the lease, because you are obligated to the lease for the full term, but could give a notice 60 days prior to the end of the lease that you are going to move.

This is very common in leases that go to month to month rental, all of the terms of the lease except for the times are valid as part of your month to month rental.

Sorry but yes, the terms of the lease are valid to the notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to Month after a year, no notice specified in lease [ 2 Answers ]

We finished our 1 year lease in October and have since been going month to month. However there is nothing written in the lease where it says how many days notice we have to give. How many days notice do we have to give legally in VA? Thanks, Ed

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Do I need to give 60 days notice when on month-to-month lease? [ 1 Answers ]

My one-year lease will end on February 29, 2008. In December landlord send me a renewal notice. I will choose the option of month-to-month, with an 8 percent rent increase. But do I still need to give 60 notice? My one-year lease requires 60 notice. I live in Yardley, PA.

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

View more questions Search