Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Foot in mouth.what would you have done?
    I made a real of myself and was not sure how to fix it. It was entirely inadvertent.

Here's what happened... I was shopping in Sears, and was absolutely exhausted. I had picked up 7 things at a 2 for 1 sale, and thought I had 8. The clerk, who was from India (I could tell from his name and accent), advised me of this and suggested I get one more item for free.

When I came back to the register, there was a huge crowd of people waiting in line for his assistance. There were also several managers near the checkout talking to one another in some sort of meeting that appeared to involve a stroll through the store. Everyone in line seemed to notice that these managers - all caucasian by coincidence - were ignoring this huge line of customers instead of jumping in to help.

I got to the front of the line again, and the clerk apologized to me for my having to wait in line again after getting my additional item. I said it wasn't a problem. He then said that he wasn't able to summon more help because the managers were all in a meeting.

This is where I made a dumb remark and said, "I understand...not enough Indians". I was thinking of the saying, "too many chiefs, not enough indians", which in retrospect I realize is offensive even when used as intended. But, given that the clerks in the store - throughout the store - appeared to be from India, and the managers were all white, this stupid remark came off like a led zepplin. It was within a nanosecond that I also realized that this young man who was clearly not born in America probably had never heard this dated saying before.

I was so embarrassed I could have died on the spot. What could I have said to make it right... if anything? It seemed the more I said, the worse it got, so I ultimately shut up, said thank you, and left the store!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Yikes, open mouth, insert foot. I've been there.

I don't think you could have said anything to make it better, in fact I think just moving on would have been the best thing to do. Hope that he didn't hear what you said. Or you could apologize and then explain what you meant and why you said it, but that might have been lost in translation.

Don't feel to bad, the fact that you are embarrassed about it shows that you are a good human being, all of us make mistakes, live and learn.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Apr 26, 2008, 10:37 PM
    I'm not allowed to agree with Alty again, so here it is:

I agree with Altenweg
    kcn7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 10:38 PM
    You may have learnt to keep your tongue in cheek. Thank you or Sorry are the best "after the event" words. You did it.
    The clerk may even taken it as a compliment. Clerks are used to worse, and would have moved on.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Being conversationally nimble I would have, without skipping a beat, extoled the superior work ethic of Indians and non-Americans in general and criticized the lazy American management group... :cool:

Unfortunately, I'm not conversationally nimble, and would have more likely muttered something about "chiefs" and "old sayings" and slunk off as you did... :(

Hey, 1 insulted out of 6.6 billion ain't too shabby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foot pain on side of foot [ 33 Answers ]

Was hoping someone could help. I have pain on the outside of my right foot. It is 1/2 way down the foot, it is tender to the touch and makes walking difficult.. Any ideas what it is? Thanks..

Foot problems from a crush to the foot [ 3 Answers ]

Have a sligt rise on my right foot half way down the front of my foot... higher than it should but when I compare it to my left foot it looks very different.I just had a crush ijury three weeks ago

Foot pain and swelling top cneter portion of my foot [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The top of my foot is swollen and in pain. Thye took and exray and it showed degenerative changes in my foot? What does that mean? :confused:

Mouth [ 1 Answers ]

Can having afilling in tooth trap a nerve in your lips and make your lips pucker up every time you try to talk.

Mouth [ 1 Answers ]

For the past two years when I talk my lips go really tight and the musssels in my face really hert my jore herts I have been to see doctors at hospital they say it is someing to do with my neck , it is getting worse every day they gave me mussel relacents but they did not work. Help

View more questions Search