Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
    The Psychology of Forum Experts
    I have been thinking about our experts posting in a forum like this. We have quite a broad range of people with knowledge in many subjects. I wonder:

• What compels our experts to answer a question?
    • Is annonymous online advice more "honest" than others?
    • Do our experts feel competition to give “the best” or “most complete answer” to questions?
    • How do our experts handle differing opinions or unreasonable scrutiny of their advice?

It’s a Friday afternoon … I clearly have too much free time today... :rolleyes:
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Personally I just find it entertaining and enlightening occasionally, too... I am a housewife, soon to be a mom, and also an artist, but I do my art from home. My husband is a doctor so he works long hours, and so I'm alone (other than the dog and cat!) for a good portion of every day. I don't watch a lot of TV, so when it's time for a break from my artwork or cleaning or whatever, it's nice to just come on here and see if there are some questions I can help with. :) Often I have questions to ask as well, and I get good answers here.

Ooops I guess I should have answered your questions too!

What compels our experts to answer a question?
    I only answer a question if I feel I know something about the subject. And I have to admit I like it a LOT if someone appreciates my answer! :D

Is annonymous online advice more "honest" than others?
    I don't know about honest... it's definitely more rude and insulting in some cases!

Do our experts feel competition to give “the best” or “most complete answer” to questions?
    Some experts seem to. I don't care so much about that, although like I said I like it if my answer was good and appreciated. What I hate more is when other experts try to compete with me.

How do our experts handle differing opinions or unreasonable scrutiny of their advice?
    I hate rudeness. If someone is polite in their differences though, that is perfectly fine. We can always agree to disagree.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:21 AM
    A combination of altruism and "look how smart I am".

On the contrary, depending on the subject matter the answer could be just plain wrong because there is no accountability. Trolling happens and some answerers vastly overestimate their knowledge.

Do our experts feel competition to give “the best” or “most complete answer” to questions?
    Not me. If someone nails the answer I rarely pop in to add more just because I can.

How do our experts handle differing opinions or unreasonable scrutiny of their advice?
    Everyone is an individual of course; personally my response depends on a) the tone of the criticism, and b) my personal opinion of the knowledge of the person criticizing.

And remember: we are Members now not experts. :)

[Yea, I should be working too]
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Well, I am far from being an expert here (yet lol). It is an interesting question because I take time out of my work days to come here. Im not sure why. I have an overwhelming desire to help people. I am not in the line of business to do this (at least at this point in my life) and forums like these have created the perfect facet to do so.

As for more honest answers... that's a tough one. I guess I take every answer into account but I also listen (thru my computer.. I know, its crazy lol) to how its written, the words used, the way the words are used... as much as that can lend to the credibility of what is being said. I actually type a lot of short hand but try not to as much here so that my responses are not unfairly judged.

The competition is funny as well. It feels a bit competitive sometimes and yet its totally anonymous. As for me, its really not a competition. I will even agrue a side that I don't agree with simply to give fair representation of every side to a story. Its not about being right... Its all about saying what someone needs to hear. We are more like the Oracle in the Matrx lol

I am a masterdebator (read that carefully lol). I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me. Its just part of life. I respect the fact that everyone has their own opinion, even if its wrong (lol I'm kidding... sorry its Friday). Like I said before, I will disagree just to disagree. I feel there is a lot to be learned by stepping outside of your beliefs and looking at something from another point of view.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2006, 12:26 PM
    * What compels our experts to answer a question?
    As NK said a lot of "look at me" but also a genuine desire to help others, especially in a field your are very knowledgeable in

* Is annonymous online advice more "honest" than others?
    Really depends on the source and whether you trust it or not, but then again the same could be said for the original questions.

* Do our experts feel competition to give “the best” or “most complete answer” to questions?
    The only competition is to make sure that the asker gets a full and complete answer to their issue. If the question has already been fully answered and the asker is happy, I leave well enough alone. Otherwise I suggest other options to try.
    * How do our experts handle differing opinions or unreasonable scrutiny of their advice?
    Most are quite happy for a mistake to be correct by another member, but some take it as a personal slight and harressment.
    Such it the way of the world ;)
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 17, 2006, 12:39 PM
    I think I might have missed the "expert" versus "member" debate...

In context, I intended "expert" to mean "the individual sharing thier knoweldge".
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 17, 2006, 03:49 PM

Section 27,paragraph 2b:"see my answer under paragraph 567/859/21c".

Depends who your hiding from.

Yes.Especially if it's Tuesday.

See my answer for question 1.

:D :D :D :D
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Feb 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
    It is the electronic extension of neighbors talking over the backyard fence. The entire human race is predicated on language and it's ability to express abstract thought. Some of us are so enamored with it that we just can't contain ourselves.
    Add that to the worse fear of all, loneliness. It's not death I fear, it's the thought of being utterly alone. So yak it up while we are still vertical but at least attempt to make it either informative or entertaining.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:51 PM
    I like to help people if I can. I myself have been in situations where I need help and I like to assist others if I can.

More honest. Depends on the subject area. But in general, perhaps. Sometimes in non cyberspace, people have a more difficult time telling someone that they are in fact wrong.

No. If 2 or more experts have given proper and full advice, then I usually won't pipe in. I will only add if it's a topic that interests me greatly or I feel some other piece of information was not mentioned.

Oh, and I like to compete with orange's answers :)

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    What I hate more is when other experts try to compete with me.
    Sometimes answers are just right or wrong. But other times, there is a lot of gray area to the answer. I would like to think I handle disagreements respectfully. And if I ever crossed the line, I would hope that someone would tell me that I did so I would realize how I did and learn not to do it again.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by augustknight
    It is the electronic extension of neighbors talking over the backyard fence.
    In your analogy there is the accountability I mentioned - I know where you live. So if you tell me that the best way to cure my 2 year old's cold is to give her Sudafed and she falls into a coma I know where to find you. Online there is no accountability at all for some nefarious types so beware.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychology [ 4 Answers ]

What is the nature of consciousness? When not fully conscious, what behavious or mental activities (such as perception, learning) may occur unchanged? What activities occur but function differently? What activities cease?

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

What is the scope of abnormal psychology?

Psychology [ 2 Answers ]

Why study psychology?

Psychology [ 2 Answers ]

What is the medical term for a person who has an unnatural attraction towards himself/herself?

View more questions Search