Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbane1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Roof receptical
    I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in wireing diagram would help. Thanks JB
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
    There are so many methods of performing the installation you mention.

Here is a link for one brand of pilot light switches by Leviton:
    http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/diagrams8.htm

Any switch controlling an outlet would simply feed a light also.

There are switches with a light in the handle that will illuminate only when the switch is ON.
    This is the best method, see the switch part # HBL1201PL on the following link: http://63.90.33.38/wiring/catalogpages/page_C05.pdf

Install your 2 wire cable from the switch location to the overhang, cable is fine, conduit is not needed if the cable will be installed in an attic, I am assuming.

Do you also realize that the deicing heat cable must be protected by a special ground fault device rated for Equipment Protection at 30 MA ( milliamp). The best method is to install a 30 MA GFI circuit breaker in your circuit breaker panel.

In addition to the switch/pilot light, most brands of deicing cables offer a temperature/moisture controller. This would mount at the overhang outlet, and control the heat tape by only turning on the heat tape if the temp is below 32 deg F, and if there is moisture.. No need to have the heat tape on if the temp is above freezing and if there is no moisture.
    jbane1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 07:26 AM
    There is a moisture/temp. controller that I bought which is separate from the roof cable. I will have a 1ft. Piece of cable that is between receptacle and attic outside that I was concerned about needing conduit. Does this need its own circuit? Please reply. JB.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2006, 01:03 PM
    The cable that will be exposed cannot be BX or Romex, must be rated for wet locations and sunlight. Why can't the cable go over and through the overhang and come into the back/top of the outlet box? If not then you may need to sleeve this cable with conduit somehow.

A separate circuit may be needed if the load exceeds 1440 watts for a 15 amp circuit, or 1920 watts for a 20 amp circuit, both at 120 volt. Plus you may only be able to get a 30 MA GFI in a circuit breaker, so looks like you should have a separate circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code? [ 5 Answers ]

This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or...

Roof top decks [ 2 Answers ]

Our new apt. in NYC has roof rights. We are allowed to build on our area, which I really want to do, but I can't find info on building a deck on a roof. Most books, advice columns, etc are about decks that are built in a yard. Can anyone recommend info specifically on building roof decks in...

Receptical and switches [ 5 Answers ]

When purchasing recepticals and switches what price range should I be looking at. I have seen 10 packs at home depot for about $5. Im sure they are not the best choice only being about .50 a piece. I am using them for residential.

Condensation on roof [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a cape style home in August from my family built by my grandfarther. Well When I had it inspected, we had mold. So I ripped off the roof and put a new one on, (no Mold). Well, last week I notice water stains on my first floor ceiling and window frames. I did some research and I...

View more questions Search