Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glorybzzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Bank Account Seizure
    I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies in there are mine, direct deposit from my employment. Is this fair -- this is only my money, he has deposited nothing. I only added his name a month ago and two weeks later they have frozen my entire pay. Is there such a thing as an "injured spouse" claim for something like this -- Can someone help me?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 09:20 AM
    I am sorry to say that you are stuck. Legally, a joint bank account is his as much as it is yours.

If he still owes creditors, I would strongly suggest opening a new account in your name only so that this cannot happen again.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 10:00 AM
    You can file motion to Quash, since the funds are direct deposit to the joint account and you are not party to the garnishment, you have direct evidence that the funds do not belong to him. The court should release you funds to you.. What state do you live in?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Interesting. Is there precedence for this? Would it apply if both of them have deposited funds to the account?
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 10:11 AM
    In Maryland on joint accounts, if you can prove by direct evidence as to the ownership of the funds, the court in Maryland will release those funds. You must have direct evidence to that. Direct Deposit does have a trail to ownership, a deposit made to the bank by way of you filling out a deposit than going to the bank does not, can proof who owned the funds.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
    This matter is from a contract in which one party has defaulted, since the primary owner of the bank account is not partyto that contract, they are not responsible for that contract.

Since there is direct evidence to whom the funds belong, that is a challenge to the garnishement. Remember everything now is in commerce, it's all about contracts!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Yes but the burden of proof is on the person with the bank account, they have to prove that the money was normally in the bank only thouigh their income. But be asured they will be watching that account of any sign of the other partner putting money into it.
    Glorybzzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. I am going to see what I can do with this and keep you updated here. I cannot believe I am the only one this has happened to and maybe my experience will help others. Again many thanks.
    pacificvp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Is it possible to have garnishments even after a bankruptcy? What process do the creditors take to find out where one banks?

Thanks for the tips...

PACIFICVP
    Sapphire670 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Hello,

In the state of Pa, I know you can be sued for credit card debt. I also know they can't garnish your wages. What can they do if you have no property or savings.

Sapphire:( :(
    Sapphire670 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Can you please advise me on what is consider harrasement by a collection agency? Meaning can they call everyday of the week? Can they call before 8:00am and can they call after 8:00pm? Can they be down right nasty?

Please help,
    Sapphire
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2006, 10:15 AM
    At bankruptcy those debts that can be discharged will. Some debts as your bankruptcy attorney must have told you may not be. Fines, child support, student loansa and the such are not dischargable during banktuptcy. Also if you get new loans after the bankruptcy they can be garnished if you don't pay them.

If you have ever paid a ceditor they will have a copy of your bank account.
    Also you have to apply for a bank account which means they run a credit check, which shows up on your credit report. So they merely have to check with any bank that runs your credit report.

I was not aware that PA could not garnish wages for credit card debts, most states allow it. They will get judgement and keep renewing it
    (thus not being effected by statue of limitation) until you move out of that state, get a bank account or get some property.
    OR of course they may give up and write it off.
    angmarie33 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorybzzz
    Thank you all for your responses. I am going to see what I can do with this and keep you updated here. I cannot believe I am the only one this has happened to and maybe my experience will help others. Again many thanks.
    Your not the only one the same thing happened to me last week. You only have 14 days from the day it happened to ask for a garnishment hearing. Your husband needs to do that an tell them it was all your money. I think you might need to file a MOTION TO QUASH GARNISHMENT. Idon't know what that means but Ifound a sight an printed out the court document paper. Wish me good luck an hope all of the best for you guys!
    nclcope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 09:19 AM

We had a vehicle get repo'd (in the state of missouri) during hard times. Can that bank put a freeze on my checking account at a different bank?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jan 19, 2010, 01:39 PM

Before your bank account can be "frozen" there has to be a judgement issued by the court,with that being said if your car was repo'd and sold at auction and at the sale it did not bring what you owed on it then yes they can take you to court and get a judgement and yes eventually they would find any bank account you have

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Frivolous Garnishment On Bank Account [ 6 Answers ]

Hello friends... i need help!! My bank account was garnished by a credit card creditor as so was my direct deposit paycheck. i'm a mother of four and live paycheck to paycheck. I called to the creditor and advised them i never had a credit card nor lived in the city,state that they stated they...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search