Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMecca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Better understanding my payroll check.
    Can someone tell me how to figure out what is being taken out of my check for social security, Medicare and federal withholdings? I live in New Hampshire and I pulled the numbers which I thought where right from the internet and did my math. However the math I did compared to my paycheck doesn’t match.

This is what I did.

According to my pay check I made 840.00 this week.

For federal withholdings (7.35) I took,
    840.00 x 7.35 = 6174 -> move the decimal 2 = 61.74

For social security (6.20) I took,
    840 x 6.20 = 5208 -> move the decimal 2 = 52.08

For Medicare (1.5) I took,
    840 x 1.5 = 12.60 -> move the decimal 2 = 12.60

So then I added the three and got, 126.43

I then subtracted 126.43 from 840.00 = 713.57

Which to me means my check should be $713.57 and it’s actually $678.74.

Where am I going wrong? If someone could help me out I’d greatly appreciate it so I can better understand what’s being taken out and as well so I can better predict my paycheck. I don’t have anything else coming out of my pay check and if it helps I’m living in New Hampshire.

Thanks! – Alicia :confused:
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
    How many exemptions are you claiming for your W2? If you claim 0 instead of 1, more money will be taken from the checks, but you will have a bigger refund (or have to pay less, depending on your situation) at the end of the year.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Do you have health insurance, dental or 401K taken out as well?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Alicia:

We need some more info to help with the calculation.

1. Are you single, or married?
    2. Is the $840 a weekly pay check, or bi-weekly, or monthly?
    3. Did you take any other exemptions when you submitted your W4 to your employer?

You should receive a pay stub with your paycheck that shows the calculations from your employer - you didn't get one?

One correction in your math - the Medicare tax rate is 1.45%, not 1.5%.

Where did you get the 7.5% federal tax rate from? That seems too low.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
    I think I figured it out. If you are single and claimed 2 exemptions on your W4, and are paid $840 weekly, then the tax withholding would be:

Federal: $97.00
    SS: $52.08
    Medicare: $12.18
    Total: $161.26

Which makes your after tax pay $678.74

The federal tax withholding can can be determined by your employer either by using a formula or from a table lookup. In your case they seem to have used the table - see page 41 in the following site, and you'll see that for a weekly paid employee, single, with 2 exemptions the amount to withhold is $97.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

If they had used the formula, the calculation would have been:

Pay: $840
    Less 2 exemptions: 2*67.31 = 134.62
    Net: $705.38
    Tax: $82.95+ 0.25*(705.38 - 653) = $96.04.

The formula is shown on page 36.
    silversage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 06:26 PM
    The above calculation is pretty accurate.

If you don't want to calculate it on your own but still want to see a breakdown of your earnings and deductions try going to paycheck city They have an onlne salary calculator that is very easy to use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

Holding a Payroll check after depositing it [ 1 Answers ]

Is it against the law for a bank to hold a persons payroll check for verification after depositing it? I am having trouble with my bank only making $100 available when I deposit my payroll check. Which this makes it possible for them to say that my bank account go negative and for them to...

Disability check VS. Child support check [ 2 Answers ]

My sister lives w/ my step father. My mom HAD to leave the home. My sister is 13 and decided to stay w/ father. I don't think he can take care of my sister.. he can't hardly take care of his self. He receives a disability check for his self and my sister gets one also until she is 18. He BLOWS...

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

Understanding: [ 42 Answers ]

Why should people believe that all religious understanding is relative and that no one interpretation is absolute? HANK :confused:

View more questions Search