Ask
    Punk Rose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Home schooling bad?
    Is home schooling a bad thing?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
    No, if it fits with your lifestyle, it is not a bad thing. If you aren't willing to do it right then it can be yes. Are you thinking of home schooling? Or Are you a child being home schooled?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Home schooling works for some families and it does not work for others. If the parents are not committed to the education of their children, i.e. not just letting the child dictate the terms of his education or "work when they feel like it", then home schooling can be a Godsend.

Some families have the means to travel the world and take the children along for the educational experiences that they will learn in a foreign country. This is an excellent opportunity for children to become well-adjusted and globally-minded.

The first thing that parents must determine is which curriculum to use for their child. If they choose a curriculum PROGRAM, one that provides a full scope of educational materials and supplements, they will be a step ahead. Some parents decide to pick from many different companies. Either way, the parents must be committed to providing the best educational materials for their growing students.

As Startover has said, if it fits with your lifestyle than no, it is not a bad thing.

Its bad when parents decide to let their children go, not keep up with their school work, and allow them to sit in front of the TV as their only source of learning. THAT is when home schooling is bad.

But generally, most home schooling families are on the ball, taking care of business, and graduating amazingly well-written, well-adjusted, honest, well-rounded adults.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
    You have gotten a couple good answers so far. For those families that can devote the time, but it normally means that one parent does not work but stays home and does the teaching, or they work at home where they can devote time to the education.

Home schooling will need to include field trips and normally some outside activities, music, gym, karate, and so. Also some home school families belong to local groups that do one or two day programs together or other group activities, for example in May, Six Flags in Georgia are hosting home school day for only home school kids.

You will find that home school kids are winning the national spelling bees, doing the best in colleges,

But those are the best ones, you have others where parents do nothing to help the kids, the kids don't learn, and they are falling way behind.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Just piling on.

Homeschooling, I believe, can be a great thing and it can also be a trainwreck. It requires knowledge and structure and most people, I think, don't have it in them.

We considered it. I've taught at a university, college students, but no young students, and considered homeschooling. In my case, after consulting with the local school about their program (son in pre-k) and talking to an aunt who does young child ed, I thought it best to have him in school half days for prek, and then at home the other times, since I can work out of home much of the time or alter my schedule as needed. Some of the time I spend playing with him. Some of the time I spent working on exercises.

If his school was overcrowded and/or I thought the program was weak, id consider it... but I know my kid, as a single child, thrives being around other kids... so a social network, whether its school or a homeschooling group, was important.

I have a relative who homeschooled her kids and it was bad... she just wasn't that organized, and luckily, after two years, she changed her mind. The kids were behind, but able to catch up in time.

I also have a friend who homeschools her two kids, and its been great for them and for her. But she's organized and completely vested in it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
    I agree with the others and wished I could have home schooled mine.
    They say that home and private schooled kids score higher than public school kids
    Also many object to home schooling using the excuse that they do not get the same chance at socializing but from what I heard home schooled and cyber schooled kids are suppose to be able to attend and even participate in the public school functions.

HSLDA | State Laws Concerning Participation of Homeschool Students in Public School Activities
    amir07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Punk Rose
    No
    Its so nice I go to home school since 6th grade and now I'm in 12th grade. U can take 2 classes at once and u can finish when ever u want.
    montecarlo42507 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Oct 25, 2008, 12:29 PM

I think homeschooling is not right for everyone and the child's personality needs to be considered as well... for instance my best friend growing up was homeschooled from 5th grade to 8th grade she was a very social person, and I don't think that her parents did her any justice by taking her out of school where she could interact with other children... she did play on a recreational sports team but her parents were trying to protect her from all the thinks middle school kids like to talk about... I mean try having your friend ask you what masturbation means when you 13 years old... it can be kind of awkward... well anyway she eventually resented her parents for keeping her on such a short leash and now she is in her 20s and she barely talks to them anymore... I guess if what I am saying is that if you want to homeschool your children because you want to protect them from the world you are probably doing it for the wrong reasons because when your children do enter the real world they will rebel and probably rebel against you anyway
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Punk Rose View Post
    That which MonteCarlo describes happens occasionally with children who start Public School and are removed. But I don't know of it ever happening with children that are homeschooled from the beginning.

Children who are homeschooled generally get along with their parents much better than children that are in Public School. In fact, their parents are their best friends.

In addition, they get along wonderfully with their siblings. Something which is extremely rare amongst Public Schooled children.

In general, also, the opposite is true even with those children who are removed from Public School. The stress of keeping up appearances and being cool before their peers is terrible. And children are generally relieved to rid of it.

The fact is, if you want to raise a well balanced child, you want to homeschool.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking of home schooling [ 5 Answers ]

With the trouble the school is giving us about holding our daughter back and her constant struggle in school my husband sugested home schooling her. I'm concerned with social interaction so can anyone tell me if there are any groups for home schooled kids to get together in vernal Utah. Or tell me...

Home Schooling At 14 In The UK [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I really hate school, I think its just the atmosphere I can't cope with. I've been looking over the internet and been reading about homeschooling. My mum and dad know I hate school and I kind of keep saying about homeschooling but they don't seem to take me seriously. I have two...

Home schooling [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to take my ged at home or find a school where I can receive my diploma I work during the day and have a child so I really can't afford to pay for it is there any on line programs that maybe is free, or does not cost too much.

Home schooling in the UK [ 2 Answers ]

Hi :o Does anyone have any information about home schooling in the UK. Does a parent need to be qualified to teach

Home Schooling [ 2 Answers ]

Can you create you, your own Home Study program ?

View more questions Search