Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankyie Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 06:14 PM
    3x3x2 abs wye question
    Hi,

I want to upgrade a bathtub drain from 1 1/2 to 2" because I am replacing it with a shower.
    I dug a trench all the way to the 3" horizontal stack and found that I can cap the old 1 1/2 pipe and insert a new 3x3x2 wye. The only problem is that I have only 9" lenght of 3" pipe to play with. The 3" pipe once cut is not flexible enough to allow me to glue either side so I guess I will have to use rubber couplings on both sides of the wye.
    I am looking with no luck so far for a 3x3x2 wye SxSxH ( I believe spigot is the right word; wye that doesn't have hub connector on either side of the 3").
    Do they even manufacture such a wye ? Do I have other solutions ?

Thanks,

Frank
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Ok Frank,

I think I see a way out for you that doesn't involve rubber couplings, ( I don't like rubber couplings under ground. They aren't ridged enough and will bell under the weight of the ground cover and the cement patch).
    Let's try it this way. You have a 3X3X1 1/2" street wye glued into a 3" wye.
    Take a Saws-All, (reciprocating saw) and make a straight cut next to the base of the 1 1/2" branch. That will give you enough room for a 3" no-Hub clamp, (see image). Now place a 3X3X2" street wye next to the piece coming out of the 3" street wye and make a mark on your pipe where the bottom of the 3x3x2 wyes hub sets. Cut the pipe off a 1/4" short of the mark you made. Prime what going to be glued. You may now place the No-Hub clamp in place and glue the 3X3X2 wye in place making sure that you give the 2" branch a little slope. Tighten the No-Hub bands and this puts you back in business. Good luck, Tom
    frankyie Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Thank you Tom !

Just to make sure I am on the same page with you:

1. cut at the base of 1 1/2". That will give me about 3/4" room to work with
    2. clamp the remaining 3/4" of pipe to the left side of a 3x3x2 street wye (BTW can I use a tee wye instead ? I can't find a street wye in
    Toronto)
    3. then you advice me to cut 1/4" short. Is this the 3" pipe on the right of the new 3x3x2 wye ? Is so can I glue and push the 3x3x2 wye over the pipe in the same time ? The pipe doesn't seem to have much flexibility. Can I glue another piece of scrap pipe into the wye and then use another nu hub clamp ? I would and up with clamps on both sides of the 3x3x2 wye.

Sorry for so manny questions.

Your help is much needed and appreciated.

Frank
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Hey Frank,

"Can I glue another piece of scrap pipe into the wye and then use another nu hub clamp ? I would and up with clamps on both sides of the 3x3x2 wye."

Yes you may, Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search