Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Feb 16, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Automatic Refresh on Website
    Hello,

How can I set up a web site to automatically refresh daily on the viewers browser... the home page is upadated constantly and I want to make sure visitors are seeing the most current version of the home page. How can I set that if it has been more than 24 hours, the page will automatically refresh on their browser instead of the stored temp internet files?

This involves using a cookie, correct?

How can I do this?
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Feb 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
    I'm a bit new at this, but learning fast. I found thia about autorefresh. You can put this in the head tag
    <meta http-equiv=refresh content="0; url=index.htm">
    that will cause the page to refresh, the 0 being the number of seconds before the site refreshes. Now I just looked this up on the internet, and I'm sure someone with a lot more experience than me will be able to tell you if this will work. Usually if I have a question about html I Google HTML and whatever I'm looking for. IE "HTML auto refresh webpage" and get a whole lot of info.
    There should also be a way to force the site to load from the server, I'm looking that up now.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Feb 16, 2006, 06:23 PM
    Hello,

Thanks for your response... however I only want it to refresh about once every day (just to update everyone's cache on the site)... I believe what you gave me would refresh it every 10, 20 seconds or minutes and I don't want to do that (it would torture dial-up users!) Thanks for your research!

Feb 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
    You probably want it to do is force it to load from the server then unless you are going to have visitors on the website for 24 hours. (or change the 0 to 86400

Some good info here

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...&start=0&num=3

Feb 16, 2006, 06:49 PM
    BTW, this is a good place to get website answers but there are a lot of forums that are more specific to websites/computers
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 02:31 AM
    Wzar - are you using either PHP or ASP for you pages? We need to know this so that we can point out suitable code for the cookies.

Also, instead of the refresh technique - try this. That should prevent the page from being cached by the user (cached means stored in the user's temporary internet files). So whenever they visit the page, they get the latest info.

That said though, if the page is dynamically created (PHP/ASP/JSP) then I don't think you should be having any refresh troubles like this.
    djcritch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Just use an online auto refresher like http://www.refreshthis.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Automatic to Manual [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possiable to change my automatic 93 honda civic, which is automatic to a manual? And if so is it really hard to do so?

Keep having to 'REFRESH' whilst browsing. [ 10 Answers ]

:) Hi everyone. This is my first ever posting so I hope I'm doing it right. I have had my internet connection for a little over two weeks now and seem to have spent 95% of my time online sorting out 'security' stuff. I have a few final things to tweak and would greatly appreciate anyone's help...

Automatic typing [ 13 Answers ]

When I am typing a message, something/someone types in on my message. It's like a ghost typing! How can I get this to stop. Thanks

Automatic Page Refresh after done [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Is it possible to refresh a page automatically after the page has loaded and is done? The page is written in asp. Thanks, John

Automatic dial up [ 2 Answers ]

I have W2000 56modem. I want my computer to automatically dialup so I can go straight to my programs. I know that you have to uncheck the never dial a connection, but mine will not clear or uncheck. What do I do.

View more questions Search