Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tigerlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Retirement because of Disability
    I have worked for this company for 30yrs & have been on permanent disability for the last 2 yrs. I called today to respectfully tell them I will not be returning due to permanent disability. I have spoken with our long term disability provider & they said I must contact the company. I have told them I would need the paperwork for my 401k & information about my pension. I will be 55 in July. They told me I must retire now to get my pension & 401k. But I'm not old enough, I don't think & I need the money from the 401k to catch up with taxes & things I couldn't afford to pay while on disability. They tell me if I leave on a disability & can access my 401k but will lose my pension. What should I do? I'm going to lose my home, my pension & everything else. Please help me.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2006, 05:44 PM
    I can't advise you on the retirement planning as I am not equipped to do that.

However, I just want to point out that perhaps you could get a different job.

Now, I don't know what your disability is, and if it prevents you from getting any sort of other job in another field, then forget my suggestion. But if you could become a secretary or something, that might help you with the bills.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 06:01 PM
    First if you are union you should contact your union representitive.

Next you may wish to at least have a sit down introduction interview with a disablilty attorney.

You have rights to social security disability inaddition to your company disability insurance ( if that is what you are talking about)

A disability attorney can look at your retirement plan and see if you are vested or not and if you have rights to an early retirement or not.

I do not believe anyone on these boards that I have seen resond to these answers are properly qualified or licenced to give you the advice you need.
    Tigerlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Thank you for your response. I am collecting SSDB & have completed all funds from disability insurance, just for clarity. I'm sorry to impose, thinking an answer might be available. Thank you very much
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 20, 2006, 04:09 PM
    You didn't impose on anyone Tigerlady. Most of the folks who are regular here are quite willing to try to help. Unfortuantely In your situation you need advice from someone knowledgeable in a specific pension plan. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Yes I am sorry if I put anyone down, there are a few I have seen lately that are pretty good on taxes, and retirement. ( although I may disagree at times on some investments) but when a person has their life and entire future hanging on some right choices, no noe without looking very carefully at all the documents and knowing the state, that state law and more can do you jutice. I was just concerned you were not getting local legal assitance.

I a sorry if I offended anyone.

Next please ask any question and all questions, we do want to help and can on a lot of issues,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes when receiving disability? [ 24 Answers ]

I am a single mother receiving social security disability. Do I need to file a tax return?

Disability and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I need to declare bankruptcy and would like to know whether there are special clauses protecting me as a registered disabled person in Canada, i.e. whether my personal possessions and other items I own such as a car, furniture, piano, art materials (piano and art materials are used to earn a...

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

Taxes on SSA Disability Income [ 2 Answers ]

Being 100% disabled for Social Security purposes, with no additional income, am I required to file annually with IRS? Wife did have income from 2002. Should we file jointly, listing my SSA Disability Income, or should she file Married, filing separately? Thank you.

Disability Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on workers compensation income since November 2004. I purchased a home in February 2005. I have no W2. My dependent is in private school and received 3 hundred toward her tuition for 2005-2006 school year. I have in the past used Turbo Tax. Am I required to file taxes on my...

View more questions Search