Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Jewish Culture and Reason
    Did the Jewish men of long ago invent rationality/reason/logical thinking... or did the ancient Greeks or perhaps some other culture?

Were the Jews responsible for preserving interest in logical thinking over the ages?
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Apr 24, 2008, 06:31 PM
    I don't think it is fair to try and figure out who invented rational thinking -- while Judaism, within limits, has applied rationality and reason, it has also asked for the suspension of same in pursuit of faith.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 1, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Dear Choux

I have to side with Rosends on this one.

Long before the Jews started with their format of rationality/reason/logical thinking, many other regional tribes , and other groups worldwide - were already experimenting with the same. It is very difficult to value now the depth into which these thought experiments went.

As usual over time these many thoughts evolved deeper and deeper, and a more clear line of thinking appeared in all these groups. We are more aware of the Jewish thinking line because it is at the origins of Christianity, which is at the origins of our western culture.

As to your question : the Jews were co-responsible for preserving interest in logical thinking over the ages in their area of habitat, together with many other human groups living elsewhere - worldwide.
    At the other side the Jews were also co-responsible for developing irrational thoughts, like the suggestion that supernatural entities exist.

;)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Excellent, thanks, John.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ideal culture vs. Real culture [ 5 Answers ]

How does ideal culture differ from real culture in U.S. society from other countries?

The Jewish Faith [ 21 Answers ]

In advance I apologize profusely, if anything I say comes across offensive to anyone. Please know it is not my intent. I am inquiring, because I have a sincere desire to know. Still, if you are upset, there is no excuse, and I am sorry, but please educate me if I do cause upset. I grew up in...

Was Hitler Jewish? [ 7 Answers ]

Some people in my class said he was, and the teacher believed them, but Im not sure if HE was. I hear his grandfather was jewish though?? I am not sure. Was Hitler Jewish?

Am I Jewish? [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish....

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

View more questions Search