Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nizzo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Databases and mySQL what?
    Hey, I want to make an interactive website and for me to do that I need to understand the world of databases in other words mySQL or SQL don’t really know anything about the subject. Actually I don’t really know why I have to use a database for my interactive website at all…

For example I want to add a “add a comment” section under some of my photos and videos but every free java or PHP script that I find you have to use a SQL database…
    I don’t want anything complicated, maybe a box for were the user can type in their name, one star formation were they can rate the photo or video and one simple text message box for the comment.

I don’t have a web server or anything like that, I use a simple host (for free) www.freewebs.com... And if you know any server that will provide anything useful for me for free I will be glad if you share that information too.:D

I’ve heard that you can make your own interactive database so that the comment section would work even if the site is offline.

This is my plan, I hope that you can help me out, let’s say that some user enters their name in the “name” box on the html page and their comment… Then when they click on the “submit” button the information is sent to a (for example) .txt file were it stores and the information that the user submitted is updated in a div box and so displayed on the html page… Is that possible? :confused:

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question…
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
    It appears that freewebs already offers this capability - see Ratings/Comments feature at Freewebs.com. Even if you have to pay for it, it will be far cheaper than trying to come up with something yourself.

Your options for doing it yourself are going to be very limited or nonexistent since a) you don't have control of the web server itself, nor b) your own database server, and c) you want it all for free. One crucial aspect of adding the features you desire is security. If you do it wrong, the web/database server gets comprised. This entails more than just getting the functionality working.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizzo
    ...when they click on the “submit” button the information is sent to a (for example) .txt file were it stores and the information that the user submitted is updated in a div box and so displayed on the html page… Is that possible?
    Yes, but not without having access to the web server, or pre-canned functionality and/or cgi/asp/php support from the hosting provider. Something has to process the information when the button is clicked, typically a script on the web server, so the hosting provider has to offer script support. First, Google for "free asp hosting" or whatever language (asp, cgi, php... ) you want to learn and choose a host. Then get a good book on the language and security, learn it, and then look for free scripts or write your own. Microsoft also offers extensive training info at The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site and php tutorials are only a Google away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect mysql with VB 6.0 [ 1 Answers ]

How connect visual basic 6.0 with the mysql

C++ and mysql [ 2 Answers ]

I want a query that can select all names in a table and write it in sequential form in a listbox of a form in C++.the connection is well established and communication between my system and my datbase is working fine. here is the statement I used: requestName = SELECT SystemName FROM System;...

Math Equations in Databases. How to? [ 5 Answers ]

:eek: Hi tech guys. I am in a software development process for an educational institution. Overview of project is random question generator which deals with all subjects like maths, phy, chemistry,. User enters a question, it may contain mathematical symbols, sub scripts & superscripts. My...

Access databases [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know of any good sites with sample databses?

View more questions Search