Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Apr 23, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Proper way to thank a Dr
    What would be an appropriate way to thank my Dr who did a wonderful and life-changing surgery for me? I am so elated and feel an absolute need to express my gratitude. I plan to give a gift basket of candies and some other "girlie" things to his staff who are all women, and thank him separately another way. I'd like to do more than a card, but have no idea what is customary, nor do I really have any idea as far as a gift to give. Any help?
    Picassa Posts: 42, Reputation: 6

Apr 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
    A simple card expressing sincere thanks to the Dr. and his staff is what is appropriate. It would be unusual to receive anything else, and perhaps a little uncomfortable on the part of the Dr. as he was just doing his job, though undoubtedly he will be pleased that you are satisfied with his standard of patient care and treatment.

My husband is a Dr. and has received many things from patients over the years ranging from vegetables to afghans to believe it or not, silly boxer shorts. Each were gestures of thanks, but totally unnecessary for the professional treatment that he provides to each patient every day. Your motives are out of gratitude, but truly, nothing other than a nice note or letter of thanks are needed in this situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Yes, just be sure to pay off the bill on time, that is always thanks enough, But yes a card is about right,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Or you can go the route I did, become a nurse and work for that doctor. LOL, really I start working on May 5.

But that's going a little too far. How about a gift card to a nice restaurant.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Apr 26, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm just super elated at my results, so I felt a need to really express my thanks... but I see what you guys are saying, and I will buy a nice card and put my thanks in writing!

I was in an office supply store the other day, and actually saw some really nice pens and I thought that would make a great gift for him... but if you think I shouldn't, then I will just do the card.

Thanks again!

Oh, and Fr Chuck... the bill is already paid! Good one though, LOL!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 09:13 PM
    I don't think a gift would be inappropriate but you don't have to go to that much trouble. Perhaps skip the girly basket and send a fruit basket for the entire office to enjoy. I think life is too short, and when someone touches you, do something extra. I'm sure people go to extra effort to complain! I just think a gift that's too personal, or too costly, would embarrass the doctor. Something for the entire practice though, would be a lovely gesture.
    Imasheila58ar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
    I thank my doctors every year on Doctor's Day, March 30th. I used to have my florists send something to each doctor that fit their image (vet, gyno, dentist, family ph) but last year we got a business who sends out fruit bouquets. I got thank you cards from all my docs on this one. They were impressed & when my mom took my pregnant niece to our gyno, he expressed to my mom how we were the only family of women who remembers him on Doctors Day. It doesn't hurt to thank your doc for his attention, if anything, he's there for you because he doesn't forget that you think of him.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 25, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Imasheila58ar View Post
    I thank my doctors every year on Doctor's Day, March 30th. I used to have my florists send something to each doctor that fit their image (vet, gyno, dentist, family ph) but last year we got a business who sends out fruit bouquets. I got thank you cards from all my docs on this one. They were impressed & when my mom took my pregnant neice to our gyno, he expressed to my mom how we were the only family of women who remembers him on Doctors Day. It doesn't hurt to thank your doc for his attention, if anything, he's there for you because he doesn't forget that you think of him.
    I never knew there was a "doctors day". When did that happen?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Proper diet [ 2 Answers ]

I weigh about 230 pounds I do not eat fast food I eat frozen food and I eat fruit and I walk the dog are these proper lifestyle? I am really active

Proper Thank You [ 5 Answers ]

Hello~ My 13 yr old daughters friend and family has taken her on an all expense paid 4 day trip to Disneyland including an hours air faire. They are paying for EVERYTHING including an expensive hotel stay. How do I possible thank them for this?:confused:

Proper venting [ 1 Answers ]

Can a new bathroom, toilet, sink, and shower be vented through an existing 1 1/2" vent? The bathroom will be in the basement, and the vent is part of kitchen on the first floor. Would a 2 1/2" better, or can I use what I have if I tie into the vent above the kitchen sink ? Thank you... Rick

View more questions Search