Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richter2552 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
    F-1 Foreign Student in USA - can I claim ANY deductions?
    Hi,

I'm an F-1 visa student form Canada studying in the US. As a non-resident for tax purposes, I don't seem to be eligible to claim any of the credits in pub. 970. Are there any deductions I can claim to increase my return beyond that provided by the standard 1040-EZ? Is there any way I can elect to be a resident for tax purposes or do I have to wait for 5 years of F-1 status to pass?

Bottom line: am I limited to a return amount stipulated by the 1040-EZ due to my non-resident for tax purposes status, or are there ways to claim additional deductions for tuition and expenses (books, etc.)?

Thanks for you help!

Craig
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
    Craig:

Sorry, as a student on F-1 status, you are stuck with the non-resident filing status. You can apply to change your visa status, but that would make you liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

BTW, as a non-resident alien, you have to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, NOT Form 1040EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim F1 student as a dependent [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am working under H1B visa for the whole year 2005. And my sister is studying with her F1 visa for the past 2 years (2004-now). Can I claim her under mine for dependent or exemption for tax year 2005? I already read about the 4 (5) requirements for tax dependent (exemptions) 1....

Standard Deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a question and wondering if anybody could answer this. I am an Indian National and was holding an F-1 Visa from August 2002 through August 2005. My Visa status got changed on September 15, 2005 to H-1B. So my starting date is September 15, 2005. Can anybody tell me what form should I...

Tuition fee deductions on H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply. Hi, As per this Link ,http://www.montana.edu/pps/Taxes/SubstantialPresenceTest.pdf I am not sure whether I AM RESIDENT OR NON RESIDENT ALIEN?

Foreign f-1 student tax status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a full-time graduate student from Turkey. I have been living in the US for 7 months. I get a tuition scholarship and a bı-weekly stipend to cover my living expenses. How much federal income tax should I be paying over my stipend? Thank you Ferit

H1 B Visa Deductions ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am on H1 B for the year 2004. I came to US in October 2004 - December 2004 to work on H1 B Visa In 2003 I was on F1 Visa and studies in the US till June-2003 - graduated and went back to Middle East to work I was on F1 Visa for the year 2002 (studying Bachelors) I was on F1 Visa for...

View more questions Search