Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheri Land Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Trek vs composite decking materials
    I am looking at building a deck and do not want to have high maintenance but also want to keep costs low. What is the difference between trek material and composite decking and is the price difference that great?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Apr 23, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Trex ~is~ a composite material. It is a mixture of plastic and wood. In our area, the price is about the same as clear cedar, but a lot more than regular pressure treated wood.

We built a deck last year in trex. It is very easy to work with - both sawing and with a router to round over the cut edges. The only problem was the sawdust clogs the sawdust extractors on the tablesaw more than real sawdust. And carrying the long pieces is like trying to pick up a 20 lb piece of wet spaghetti

I have not had any experience with any other composite material.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Apr 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
    There all the same, trex is just another name brand of the same material, its all composite. So just pick a brand to go with, you'll still be paying around 30 dollars or so for a 16ft piece regardless of what brand you go with

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TREK decking [ 2 Answers ]

Question, I have a TREK deck. First and second floor. Will the posts hold nails? And if they do, what kind. I would like to hand a large lantern that is secured by a metal hanging post that takes two of something. HELP

Decking, Trek [ 1 Answers ]

Can Trek Decking be painted?

Trek Decking [ 2 Answers ]

Would pressure washing my trek deck void my warranty at all?

Composite decking - Trek vs. Procell; Fair price for deck piles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Any opinions on whether to use Trek or Procell for large composite deck at the beach? Any thoughts on a fair price for 20' deck pile vibrated 10' into sandy ground at Jersey Shore? Any input appreciated MCC

Composite Decking [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing wood deck. Would like to replace the floor boards, railing and stair system with a composite material. Live by the ocean so need a product that will withstand the elements. Heard of Trex, Veranda, Fiberglass--any advice on these or other products would be appreciated.

View more questions Search