Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnybunni Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2008, 06:47 AM
    I want to move across the country
    I want to move all the way to the other side of the country. I probably won't be lucky enough to have a job lined up for when I immediately get there. I most likely will go a month at the most without employment.

What kinds of things does one need to take care of before making a move like this?
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Apr 23, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Well, you need a place to stay obviously. I would start looking for jobs asap. Make sure you have enough money saved.
    goldenmom7500 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Hi,

Do you know where you want to go? If so, then you basically just need to think about a place to live and employment. You can go to a relocation forum to get recommendations for neighborhoods and apartment complexes, etc. Then I guess you just need to find a mover, set up utilities if needed, etc.. I just did something similar and I admit there are a lot of costs I didn't anticipate, but for me it was worth it :)

If you don't have a city in mind, there are a lot of websites where you can match your own criteria with locations, etc.
    sunnybunni Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
    I am going to L.A. My main concern is how much money I need to have saved up for the unexpected costs that you speak of. I anticipate that, but I'm not sure I'm thinking of everything.
    goldenmom7500 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 06:10 PM
    ... right, I had to replace a lot of small things that added up to a lot (coffee maker, TV, lawnmower, computer died, etc. etc.). At first I just decided to buy everything I needed so I could 'start living' - then (now) I started being quite careful. Utilities were higher than I had budgeted... in my case electric in summer and gas in winter. Anyhow, the list went on, but many of these expenses were truly, hopefully, one time things.

The bottom line is that you need a formula to aggregate these unexpected things. Off the top of my head I would say you need to be sure to have 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

I'm something of a risk-taker, so I don't mean to discourage you in any way. I always think there are options in every scenario and if you want to go to L.A. you should go there... :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Well I guess do you have furniture or will you move with what you own in suitcase? On my last move I basically sold 9/10 of what I owned since I was going to down size anyway, and moved. For me although I had a job arranged, I lived for a couple of weeks in one of those furnished weekly rentals. And put what I did still own in a storage unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account seizure and cross country move [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, We recently did a military move cross country from the east coast to Hawaii. I was in the process of closing our bank account there by letting it "settle" for a bit when I checked it to discover a zero balance. I got a letter in the mail a few days later saying it had been seized...

Writing off a cross country move [ 3 Answers ]

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find a similar question. This year, my husband and I moved from Texas to Minnesota. The move cost us roughly $5000.00, and I have kept every receipt involved in the move (Uhaul, gas, lodgings, etc). In past cross-country...

Cross country move in a rental truck [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am moving from San Francisco, CA to Pittsburgh, PA (2700 miles) and based on where the house I am living in is located, my only option in moving is to rent a truck and tow my car behind it. I am renting a 16 foot truck and a car carrier (not tow dolly) for my Honda Accord and would like...

Cross Country Move [ 3 Answers ]

I will be renting a trailer to move across country. (San Fran to Atlanta) I will be using a Honda Civic Hatchback to tow the trailer, moving about a studio apartments worth of stuff. I will be taking the southern route so there will be less hills than the northern route. I've never done this...

Move across the country, now divorce, WHAT'S NEXT?? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has been going through a very rough custody battle. 2 1/2 years ago his ex wife moved his 2 children to Colorado (we live in Ohio). Of course the judge here let her and the kids go. One year later they moved to California. Her husband was stationed in the military in CO and then...

View more questions Search