Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jruzzi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Can a company legally ask its employees for their citizenship?
    Can a company legally ask its employees in the U.S. and other countries their citizenship?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Hello jr:

Sure they can in the US. I don't know about other countries.

excon
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 11:51 PM
    Yes the company has the right to know your citizenship and it is the part of the procedure.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 04:53 AM
    This is now required by US employers to validate the workers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jruzzi
    Can a company legally ask its employees in the U.S. and other countries their citizenship?

I don't know about other countries but in the US the employer by law is supposed to confirm the citizenship and status of its employees.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Since most companies are required to withhold income tax amounts from its workers, they need to know citizenship to properly calculate the withholding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I gain citizenship in europe and renounce my citizenship in America [ 23 Answers ]

I have always wanted to move away from the U.S. but I want to do it permanently without the hassle of work visas and "checking in" every year or so. All the flights are very expensive as well. I was told by an acquaintance that I can even receive money for renouncing my citizenship! How do I go...

Company introduction letter for audio/home theatre solution company [ 1 Answers ]

I want to introduce myself/company to one of the top interior designer. I am an individual dealing in audio / home theatre solutions. I want to an introduction letter for my company.

Small company with out of state employees [ 1 Answers ]

We are based in NY, and we have employees with home offices in Georgia, Virginia, and Missouri. I know we file payroll taxes in these states, but do we have to file any corporate tax returns also?

View more questions Search