Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigtee321 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Do I still have to pay rent?
    I have received a letter from the landlords wife saying that she will try to keep all 8 properties that he owned, I talk to her personally and she said that she is trying to make ends meet as far as paying morgat and taxes out of her pocket, section 8 is not sending payments to her, As far as I'm concerned this living situation is not stable, so I asked my section 8 worker if I can move, she told me to send the wife my 60 days notice and to look for another home. I like to know if I still have to pay my portion of the rent to the wife or do I keep it to use for my securty deposit for my next home ?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Since she will be or is the legal owner of the property, ( and section 8 will have to start paying her or she will sue them) but if you are living there you will or should have to pay your share of the rent.

Ok, I hate to go here but if you don't, after you don't pay the next rent, she has from 14 to 30 days before she will start eviction proceedings, and another 15 to 30 days after that. So if you did not pay, both she may kick you out before ( but not paying, will that effect your section 8 status) I know if any of my people don't pay, it can remove them from being able to stay in the program for a certain length of time also)

So should you, yes if you are living there,

Let me reword this a little bit,

The lady who is trying to keep from losing everything her husband worked for is having a lot of trouble. Her husband is dead and she is having to deal with that. Most likely she had no idea about any of her husbands business, has no experce as a landlord.

Most of the property has a mortgage on them, some may be late in being paid.
    The propery is most likely lower income property. Her life as she knew it is destroyed and she is most likely almost not able to cope.

If she is not getting paid rent by her tennants she can't make her payments and will lose her property. So should tenants who are suppose to be paying rent, pay?? Of course

Now on the other side, more often than not, I never get the last month rent of a person moving out, of course they don't get their deposit back either if they do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I refuse rent? (AR) [ 7 Answers ]

Rented to a young man back in Nov '05 and his dad co-signed. Every month it was a problem collecting rent. We had to make several phone calls to both him and his dad and then rent would be paid sometime between the 3rd and the 5th. We were getting really tired of this, but he said in May '06 he was...

Rent [ 8 Answers ]

I rented more than half of my apt. which incl the kitchen to someone and charged her $1000. A month as my apt. is rent control I pay only $1100. I also paid for the electric bill. We had agreed on the price prior to her moving in as rents in nyc start at $1500 for an efficiency. She now is suing...

Pay Rent or Quit in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I have repeatedly tried to work with over the course of his lease regarding paying the rent. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with his inability to pay. Including late fees, he is currently $1,985 behind on rent. That's $625/month (@ 3 months) plus a...

Up Goes the Rent [ 3 Answers ]

I've been an ideal tenant for seven years, and to thank me, my lanlord jacked the rent up seventy-five dollars in less than two years. Is this legal?

View more questions Search