Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjsmethurst Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Hosting advice
    I have designed the webpage I want to use on an off the shelf package called webeasy, I have my domain name already but the hosting package offered is not that good. The website will be for property owners selling their own homes so I need quite a lot of space.

I've been searching on Google all day but don't really know what I'm looking for. Most companies have a website builder attached but none tell you how to upload one you've already created

Can anyone recommend a good hosting company that would suit my needs? I'm based in the UK.

Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Most people built their own website on their local machines and upload their files to their web hosts by FTP. Pretty much ALL web hosting companies will give you the details required to use FTP. You, of course, need either an FTP client or ,if you are using a web building package, enter the necessary ftp info into their uploading feature.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Feb 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Check out www.u2-web.com. I have never used them but I found them through this site: www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/U2-Web. They seemed to be the only one to respond to the reviews people give them. They are affordable and located in the UK. It all depends on what you want to do as to what hosting company. I went through this same question about a month ago.

Go to http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16779. This might help you also.

Good luck. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 08:13 PM
    I don't think that "where" you are is really an issue, although I am sure there are good companies in your area. I know for example on my web site, it is hosted here in the US, but we have a Swiss gentleman who designed it for us ( oks by email).

But after using a couple companies, I love www.fortunecity.com their customer service is great. You can upload your own or they have a couple of other set up options.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 02:24 AM
    Well for this kind of site I think where does make a slight difference. For a site for selling homes in the UK, the majority of your users will be UK users. So it makes sense to host the page in the UK as the pages will load faster (although minimally).

Anyway, the web host I use in the UK is UK Web Solutions Direct. They have excellent support and a number of nice feature by which to manage your site with.

There is also FastHosts, who are currently the #1 web hosting company in the UK.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2006, 04:54 PM
    Godaddy.com is about the cheapest right now, at around $3.15 a month, I have Dot5hosting, had them for 6 years, now and they have been excellent, I paid $4 a month, but I think godaddy, offers more space and bandwidth, if you need that, I use Frontpage to make my websites and update them and upload my files, and dot5 allows frontpage, with no trouble at all, and when I do find the need for an FTP program, I use the free Smart FTP, an excellent program for nothing.:)
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 9, 2007, 06:55 PM
    1and1 is always good and they have the web builder with a real estate design built in.

1&1 Internet Inc. - Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration
    Megalomaniac Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    godaddy.com is about the cheapest right now
    I would not use godaddy for any business related website. They have horrible customer service and they are not reliable. I have been having trouble with them since the day I transferred my clients website to them (almost a year ago). They are fine for personal webpages, but that's about it.

Your best bet is to read and compare other hosts, like jduke44 suggested, try webhostingjury.com or Google some others. There are a ton of good forums out there that rate different hosts and you can get a good idea of which ones are the best.
    Golden Angel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 04:36 AM
    I think you can go for this.

"Swirl Web Membership Area:-
    a.Get Unlimited Storage, Bandwidth & Domains and a Pro-Auto responder Mailing System."
    b. Access FREE Website Builder(free for a limited time)
    c. Additional Membership Bonus & Many More...
    Unlimited Web Hosting Package -- Host Unlimited Domains by SwirlWeb
    cymru2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Personally I would avoid Godaddy (very bad support in my experience) and 1and1 - even if they are one of the largest UK hosts don't expect to be anything but a number.

Also, try to avoid people that sell something that can't possibly exist, such as unlimited space and bandwidth - if it doesn't exist how are they expecting to sell it - if you do decide to choose an unlimited host pay very special attention to their Terms of Service and any related document. E.g if their TOS keeps referring to their AUP - and you can't find their AUP you have to ask yourself whether they're worth giving your money to.

99% of hosts with a web builder let you upload your own content, so don't let that put you off.

Before any real advice can be given though, you'll need to give us a few details. How much space is "a lot", what will you be building it with (php/mysql or other), how may visitors are you planning to have both simultaneously and per month, how much data transfer do you think you'll be using?

All these questions will lead to different tech, if mysql/php, less than 100 simultaneous users and les than a couple hundred k hits a month you'll get away with shared hosting - and a £4-£5 pm bill. If its more VPS or dedicated may be more up your street - but they come with a bill of between £20 and £200 pm in the UK in my experience.

There are many places in the UK to host, but before parting with your money make sure you're confident with the people running the hosts. Don't rule out the little man either, as you're more likely to get greater support above and beyond what you would with a big name (I helped a guy setup his first ever forum last night for 2.5 hours, 1and1 wouldn't do that now would they).

Most importantly, don't get hung up on price, go for service, submit a support ticket and try a live chat before parting with your money - that way you see how fast and friendly the company is.
    zxed Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Wow. a few good answers and quite a few garbage ones...

Every web master has their own preference when it comes to hosting.

About 2 years ago, I started moving all my websites (50+) to discountasp.net

This server is great for windows/.net hosting.

What are you developing in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Php5 mysql hosting [ 11 Answers ]

I am looking to hopefully move my web page off my home server (when its complete) to a more capable hosting solution. All I really require of the server is that it supports PHP5 and some fairly recent version of MySQL (although I'm not particularly picky about the MySQL part). Storage and max...

Good Hosting [ 12 Answers ]

Can anyone please suggest any good hosting companies for websites

Web hosting companies [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestions for a web hosting company. I need to know the pros and cons of both. I went ona site that listed a few of them and compared them. What do you think of these if oyu know them: Powweb - www.powweb.com Ipower - ipower.com Blue host - bluehost.com

Dns hosting? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me What is the deference between domains with "dns hosthing" or without.

Web Hosting computer business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have some questions on what line to put expenses for schedule C: I have a web hosting business where I lease a server (monthly fee) and resell space to my customers. 1. Does the monthly server cost go into COGS or Other expenses? Sometimes I fix peoples computers and need to buy...

View more questions Search