Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    Hello all!

I've got a bit of a snag with Shockwave... I'm trying to play some games online, with some it's fine, but with others (I guess more complicated ones) then it says;
    "Installing Compatibility Components"
    Brings up a progress bar, but then just freezes!

I've had a search around online, but can't seem to find any answers!

Any ideas?

J
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Apr 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
    It installs using an ActiveX control. Your browser security may be blocking the use of ActiveX Controls. This is not a bad idea but you would have to relax the security long enough to install the updates.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 11:34 AM
    I use Firefox which does not use any ActiveX and it plays all Flash/Shockwave games perfectly. Is it maybe trying to load Java?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I was about to say, it does exactly the same thing in IE, Firefox and Opera... so I doubt it's browser related!
    etalmar Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Go To File Hippo Browsers and Plugins Downloads

Shockwave Player 11.0.0.429

Download the exe file, but instead of opening the file, save the file to disk. Then, delete your current version of Shockwave entirely. After that, run the exe file and finish installing the program. That should help to clear up any problems you've had with the download freezing on the Adobe site.

I encountered a similar problem awhile back, but the suggestion I just outlined works very well and I haven't had a problem with Shockwave or Flash updates since.

Word of caution... stay away from the Adobe site whenever possible. Ever since they have taken over Macromedia, they have succeeded in ruining the whole ActiveX plugin experience for many people. Their site is bloated and frequently locks up. Such is the fate of any good program, once the corporate scum start gobbling up smaller companies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adobe Flash Player Problems [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new Toshiba laptop with windows vista on it. I have NEVER been able to view flash movies on YouTube or any other site. When I go to download adobe flash player 9 from the website, it doesn't do anything. I then download it manually and it says it did installed, but when I go see if...

Flash/Shockwave Site Creation [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could turn this site into a flash or shockwave site. If so, how? I want to make the site easier to navigate and not have to reload every time you click on a link. I am the intern at this organization and I am willing to take some strain off the people I work for. Hope you...

More on adobe 8 [ 2 Answers ]

Do the adobe reader speed launch and the synchronizer have to load at startup? Also what do these two things do?

Adobe pagemaker [ 4 Answers ]

I have already searched it on net but nothing was satisfactory. Actually, I am not able to run Adobe Pagemaker program until I go to Task Manager and end the Rundll32.exe process. After ending this process only I am able to run Pagemaker and my system also gets fast after killing this process. I...

Anyone knows adobe.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi to all, I want to know how to add fonts in adobe illustrator and photoshop :) is that too much hehehe have a nice day... Thankz...

View more questions Search