Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliaricam3 Posts: 37, Reputation: -2

Apr 22, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70
    When a mother is on welfare,she does not receive child support payments.She gets welfare only.CSEA gets cs payments.

Right, so who should support the mother? Just because a parent is not in the picture(mother or father) should us taxpayers support the other parent, or should they get a job and support there self

Apr 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Sorry - I thought the post was about benefits the mother received on behalf of the child, not her individual benefits.

Should have made it more clear, I am for paying back support for your child, but just because you're a single parent does not mean the absent parent should support you, they should support there child
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliaricam3
    right, so who should support the mother? Just because a parent is not in the picture(mother or father) should us taxpayers support the other parent, or should they get a job and support there self
    should of made it more clear, I am for paying back support for your child, but just because your a single parent does not mean the absent parent should support you, they should support there child
    Legally speaking-it does not matter. /unfortunatelly!! /
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 10:50 AM
    right, so who should support the mother? Just because a parent is not in the picture(mother or father) should us taxpayers support the other parent, or should they get a job and support there self

I think this has crossed out of legal advice/info and into discussions and opinions and arguing with the law(s) - could the thread somehow be split and posted elsewhere?

Apr 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I think this has crossed out of legal advice/info and into discussions and opinions and arguing with the law(s) - could the thread somehow be split and posted elsewhere?
    I have no idea how that works.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Aliaricam, this board is for legal opinions. Can you summarize your question, at this point, in a sentence?

Apr 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Aliaricam, this board is for legal opinions. Can you summarize your question, at this point, in a sentence?

If my boyfriend is found to be the father of this 12 year old girl, why does he have to pay back welfare for the 12 years this woman had received it for herself as well as the child, The first alleged father paid some of it.
    Family Law Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:01 AM
    If my boyfriend is found to be the father of this 12 year old girl, why does he have to pay back welfare for the 12 years this woman had received it, The first alleged father payed some of it.
    Because that is the law!Maybe he has to pay retroactive for 12 years,maybe for five...
    It is possible for the first alleged father to sue your boyfriend for recoupment:confused:

Apr 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Because that is the law!Maybe he has to pay retroactive for 12 years,maybe for five...
    It is possible for the first alleged father to sue your boyfriend for recoupment:confused:

So basically if you have a child and are not married the father has to support you for as long as you refuse to work?

I will put it this way Why does my boyfriend (if found to be the child's father) have to support the mother?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
    I will put it this way Why does my boyfriend (if found to be the child's father) have to support the mother.
    He doesn't have to support the mother, just his child.

Apr 22, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    He doesn't have to support the mother, just his child.

According to Massachusetts law he does, the mother has been on welfare for 12 years, and if he is the father he has to pay welfare back for everything she received for herself and the child, I can see the child but why her, who makes these laws? Iknow sometimes people have hard times and need welfare but what gives this woman a right to get welfare for 12 years, she should get a job and pay back what she received for herself and half of what she got for the child and then the father be responsible for half of the child's welfare
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
    If he had taken care of his business 12 years ago, he would not have to repay her welfare. That's the cost of not doing the right thing, from the get go.

Apr 22, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    If he had taken care of his business 12 years ago, he would not have to repay her welfare. Thats the cost of not doing the right thing, from the get go.

How can he do the right thing from the getgo when first he did not know she was pregnant and another man has been supporting this child for all these years and signed the birth certificate, he was told last year he may be the father because the other father decided to get a peternity test and found out it was not his, so after the next guy got one and he wasn't she said it has to be my boyfriends, I guess you did not read the beginning of the post. He is just finding out after 12 years, he is waiting a paternity test next week
    mary lalsley Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2008, 11:43 AM
    It sound like your man with every woman but you, why are you looking like you don't see what going on is you a fool for him because you did not say one time that you have a baby by this but all I am reading that you have bills by him does that make sense to you and I know I am not the first to say SO HOW YOU DOING!
    Family Law Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:56 AM
    My last post here:
    1.The parents HAVE primary obligation to support their children.
    2.Example:
    If she has four children and they are entitled to receive CS /let me say $300,$300,$200 and $200=$ 1,000 a month... /,she and her children are on welfare/let me suppose she gets $2000 a month/,she will receive $ 2,000 but the state has to be compensated with $ 1,000 through CSE.That does NOT mean that the father support his ex.OK?

Apr 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
    My last post here:
    1.The parents HAVE primary obligation to support their children.
    2.Example:
    If she has four children and they are entitled to receive CS /let me say $300,$300,$200 and $200=$ 1,000 a month.../,she and her children are on welfare/let me suppose she gets $2000 a month/,she will receive $ 2,000 but the state has to be compensated with $ 1,000 through CSE.That does NOT mean that the father support his ex.OK?

Can you tell me how he would have gone about taken care of this from the getgo when he just found out the child could be his. And does she pay back the other $1000
    Family Law Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Retroactive child support refers to child support which you may have an obligation to pay at some point but have not yet been ordered to pay.A scenario would occur if you are not married. In that case your child support obligation could begin at the time of the child's birth. You could also be ordered to help pay prenatal and postnatal expenses for the mothers which were not covered by insurance.
    The court may order a parent to pay retroactive child support if the parent:

Has not previously been ordered to pay support for the child; and
    Was not a party to a suit in which support was ordered.
    If they are not married, child support could be ordered as far back as the date the child was born, plus prenatal and postnatal expenses not covered by insurance. However, the court will usually limit the amount of retroactive child support to an amount that does not exceed four years of support.

Apr 22, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Retroactive child support refers to child support which you may have an obligation to pay at some point but have not yet been ordered to pay.A scenario would occur if you are not married. In that case your child support obligation could begin at the time of the child’s birth. You could also be ordered to help pay prenatal and postnatal expenses for the mothers which were not covered by insurance.
    The court may order a parent to pay retroactive child support if the parent:

has not previously been ordered to pay support for the child; and
    was not a party to a suit in which support was ordered.
    If they are not married, child support could be ordered as far back as the date the child was born, plus prenatal and postnatal expenses not covered by insurance. However, the court will usually limit the amount of retroactive child support to an amount that does not exceed four years of support.
    I understand all that, but you said he should have taken care of that from the get go, how would he have done that
    Family Law Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
    And does she pay back the other $1000
    NO

Apr 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
    NO
    I know your tired of this but, she gets supported by us taxpayeres and all her baby daddys right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old daughter kissing boyfriend [ 10 Answers ]

Recently my parents took my 13 year old daughter to the movies with one of her girlfriends. My parents went to a different movie and when there movie was done they checked in on my daughter and caught her making out with a boy. I've already punished her for lying and everything else but now...

Is it wrong for me to not trust my ex-boyfriend with our daughter? [ 3 Answers ]

I have custody of our daughter (she lives with me), and my ex-boyfriend (her father) has in the past talked about killing himself, and the ways he could do it, he's also broken things that he owns (such as his digital camera) out of anger... should I get a lawyer? I do not trust him alone with her,...

Daughter vs new boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got divorced and I have a 5yr old daughter. I am dating a guy and my daughter won't give me 10 minutes alone seems like to even talk to the guy. Any time I get on the phone or try to talk to anybody in person she jumps in and starts talking. I have told her that she is being rude but...

Custody battle with my boyfriend of our daughter [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend who is not even on the birth certificate has taken my 4 month old daughter, will not let me see her and is taking me to court so he can has full custody I lived with him and took care of my child so I didn't pay bills or work I'm fit mother what are the chances he would get custody? ...

Boyfriend Adopting My Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter is 3 months old next saturday and I want to know if my Boy-friend can adopt her. Her bio father has never seen her and has never been in her life since she was in my belly. I want him to adopt her so that she has a father that loves her and doesn't use drugs or sell drugs either.

View more questions Search