Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neveragain1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 01:25 AM
    Theft Under 5000, first offender, 21 years old, Toronto, ON
    Last week, I made a mistake to try and steal paint worth about $100 from home depot, I was caught and brought into the back. They called the cops, and they gave me a ticket and made me promise to visit the cop station on a date 4 weeks later for fingerprinting, and a court date 6 weeks later that was written on that ticket. This is my first offense, don't know what made me do it, it is still unclear in my mind. Im going into my third year at university in a bachelor of science program. Im afraid this totally screwed up my potential future opportunities. I have a few questions...

1) am I eligible for the diversion program and when do I apply for it?
    2) Is a lawyer nessesary, or an attorney( I'm unclear the difference)?
    3) If I complete the diversion program, is my record cleaned once finished or after a certain period?
    4) how soon does this offense appear on your record?

Thank you
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 01:35 PM
    1) Maybe, consult with an attorney
    2) lawyer and attorney is the same thing... yes, get one. Try legal aid. You said you are a student... most universities in canada (well here in ontario anyways) have on campus lawyers to consult with for free

3) yes
    4) once you are CONVICTEd it appears. Since you have only been charged, it does not appear.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Lawyer and attorney is the same thing, yes get one, they can help you get a diversion program.

May 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I talked to my lawyer at school, he said discharge is most likely to happen, although does a discharge mean that my record will be clean as it's a first offense?
    Thechaks Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by neveragain1
    i talked to my lawyer at school, he said discharge is most likely to happen, although does a discharge mean that my record will be clean as its a first offense?
    Do anyone have idea in the difference between PROBATION AND DIVERSION PROGRAMME?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thechaks
    Do anyone have idea in the difference between PROBATION AND DIVERSION PROGRAMME?

Diversion is offered for minor offenses (not felonies) and first time offenders - if the “offender” completes requirements set by the DA’s Office there are no charges filed, no trial, no criminal record. Sometimes classes are involved (anger management in some cases), restitution must be made to the victim, sometimes there are no contact orders or restraining orders, often the movement of the offender is limited - for example, no bars, no malls, whatever the problem was, for a period. If the offender does NOT live up to the requirements of the program, then the DA has the ability to prosecute. With diversion the case is sort of put on hold for a period to see how the offender behaves.

Probation is in lieu of jail - the offender is convicted but is allowed to be at home if certain conditions - and they vary from case to case - are met: perhaps a curfew, meetings with and supervision by a Probation Officer, drug and/or alcohol testing, staying out of trouble are some. If the offender does NOT live up to the requirements, then the offender can go to jail to finish the sentence and probation is “recalled.”

May 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I hope I get accepted into the diversion program, does anyone know the requirements to be eligible other than it being your first offense?
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
    i hope i get accepted into the diversion program, does anyone know the requirements to be eligable other than it being your first offense?

Right - first offense, not a major/violent crime (I believe I said not a felony) and it's upon the recommendation of the DA who, in theory, decides whether you are likely to offend again, whether you learned anything from the experience, whether you will learn without jail time.

I believe you have a better chance if you have an Attorney to argue on your behalf.

May 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I talked to the Attorney at my school and told me to go earlier on my court appearance date and go to the Duty Counsel and ask for the diversion program, if I'm not eligible to ask to adjourn.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
    i talked to the Attorney at my school and told me to go earlier on my court appearance date and go to the Duty Counsel and ask for the diversion program, if im not eligable to ask to adjourn.

And if that's what my Attorney said, that's exactly what I would do.
    Thechaks Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Hi Neveragain,
    When is your court date? Can you please advice the whole process here once you have through? Your experience will help here I believe.
    Thanks,
    warbuggy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Well u should not of done but click this link hope it helpshttp://http://www.lawteacher.net/PDF/TA%201968.pdf

May 9, 2008, 09:20 AM
    My court appearance date is May 30th.
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by warbuggy1
    well u should not of done but click this link hope it helpshttp://http://www.lawteacher.net/PDF/TA%201968.pdf

That website does not work. What is it?
    bigmistake1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 07:37 AM

Hello everyone,

This really is not an answer but a question that I would love an answer to as I am really scared. Yesterday was the first time I ever tried to steal something and I got caught for taking a pair of shorts. And taken to the back they gave me two tickets when the cops came one for finger pringting and an other for a trial date I am 18 years old I'm not a bad kid I just made a really bad decision! What is the punishment? Should I get diversion and ifso how what sahould I do? And the other thing is I have an audiont to get in a school of the arts in london will this affect my abbilty to travel? Pleas id love and ejucated helpful answer plaese. Thank you
    free soul Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 01:22 PM
    I am 21 years old, got caught shoplifitng for $70, went to first court appearance, was refused diversion, and now I have hired a criminal lawyer. The only question is how likely is it my lawyer convince the Crown to change their mind and offer me diversion Thanks
    neveragain040310 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 06:01 PM

What was the result of your case? I'm in the same boat today, I don't even know what came over me, I was walking around in a daze and shocked at my own behaviour. I am upset and don't know what to do. My first court date is in a little over a month. Please share any information you may have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time offense theft under 5000 dollars 16 years old [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my friends took it from a house which we thought was abbandoned but wasn't so we took some stuff which ended up being worth 1500 bucks the cops know its us and were turnign the stuff and ourselves in very soon so what will we get please help I'm 16 no priors I'm really a good kid Saratoga...

Theft Under $5000, Toronto, ON, Age 21 [ 1 Answers ]

Just yesterday, I was charged with theft under $5000. The amount I stole totaled just under $49 I was in shoppers drug mart with the original itention to buy solution for my contacts. I came across some makeup, and for whatever reason, decided to take it. Usually, I would have no...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Under 5000: 19 Years [ 3 Answers ]

2 days ago I was caught shoplifting at a 24 hour grocery store with some friends. The police charged me with Theft under 5000 and possession under 5000. This is my first offence. I am scheduled to appear in court in April. Is there any way this incident can stay off my record? I've heard of an...

Theft under $5000 from 5 years ago [ 8 Answers ]

On one particular day in February 2002, I had went to Zellers and stupidly attempted to steal a cheap $20 camera. I subsequently got caught by security, the police was called and I was issued a bunch of papers. Note: I was only a kid then, and the Young Offenders Act was still in place. I...

View more questions Search