Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Flag etiquette
    Here's the deal... about 20 years ago, my relative was helping in an American public school classroom of 2nd graders. There was a boy in the class from Mexico. It was still the tradition for the class to rise, put their hands on their hearts and recite the American pledge of Allegiance. The boy in question, not being an American, refused.

At the time, my relative recalls being deeply upset by this and feeling that the parents taught the child badly... that since he was probably here illegally, taking advantage of all that American tax payers have to offer, the "least he could do" is to say the pledge of allegiance as he was told, and not be disruptive to the class.

I disagreed with her views on this. I feel that while the child should be respectful of this American tradition in his American classroom, it is not appropriate for a non-citizen to participate in this type of outward display of patriotism to our country. IO felt the adults in charge (the teachers) should have asked him to stand silently during the pledge, and rather than making an issue, if questions were asked by other students, they could have just said, "Pablo is a citizen of Mexico, and his allegiance is to his home country, so he will stand with us as our friend, but will not say the words with us. He feels these words about his own country."

I feel that saying the pledge, singing our anthem and putting hands over hearts at the presentation of our flag is the priveledge and responsibility of American citizenship. I feel that citizens of other countries should, as a courtesy, stand when our flag is presented formally, that we should do the same as a courtesy when their flag is presented formally, such as at sporting events. As for the child benefitting from American tax payers, I think that's an entirely different issue, and way over the head of any 7 year old child I've ever met. I also think it's more likely the child's parents wanted him to understand that he's Mexican and be proud of his homeland, than that they wanted him to slight America in any way.

My family think I'm nuts. I think they are totally off in their understanding of etiquette and my guess is that one really shouldn't, technically, say the pledge of allegiance for the flag of a country in which they are not a citizen. Isn't that kind of a lie?

What do you think? (other than that this is a stupid thing to argue about!)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 11:43 PM
    I don't know. If someone is here in our country, legally or illegally (I find it offensive that you're assuming because he's from mexico he's probably illegal by the way. There are a number of legal mexican immigrants and I think its awful that so many ignorant people assume every hispanic person is here illegally), I would rather them be loyal to America than wherever they came from.
    Its funny reading this, because just the other day my government class got into a debate over whether it was rude for people not to stand for the flag, sing, pledge, and what not. And someone made a good point. Thousands of men and women have died so that our flag can fly and anyone standing on our soil owes it to those men and women to stand AND pledge. So if this little boy is living here in America benefitting because our men and women died then yes, I think he should have enough respect to say the pledge to the country he is living in. pledging allegiance to America doesn't make him any less Mexican and it doesn't mean he can't be proud to be Mexican.
    There's my thoughts on it
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 08:45 AM
    I wasn't the one who assumed he was here illegally - my relatives did! I agree with you that this type of assumption is inappropriate. In any event, I dno't think immigration status is relevant... I just thought that only Citizens should say the plege... I thought that was kind of the "rule of etiquette". Does anyone know if this is even addressed in the rules established by our government for the flag?
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Well if immigration status is irrelevant then what would be the point of the this question?
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 12:17 PM
    The question is - if someone is not an American Citizen, whatever the other circumstances, is it appropriate for them to be expected to say the pledge of allegiance to the American Flag? I don't think the distinction between a legal immigrant who is not a citizen and an illegal immigrant who is not a citizen is relevant to the basic question about whether non-citizens should be pledging their allegiance to our flag, or if they should be resonably expected to do so simply because they live here.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Well I would say yes, I feel that if they're going to live in our country, under our flag, then they should pledge out of respect.
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

May 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
    We are a free country. Right or wrong in your eyes, it doesn't matter. But that is why I salute our flag.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Barcelona's Flag! [ 1 Answers ]

I have googlged it but I have like 3 different flags! Does anybody know which flag is the real flag de Barcelona ? XD

Is this a Red Flag? [ 4 Answers ]

O.K. First time ever posting. I am in a relationship that for the most part is wonderful. However, it seems like his sex drive has slowed down a lot!. Now, he is under tremendous stress, doesn't get enough sleep, and had diabetes. All I know are contributors. We work opposite hours and I have...

Is this a red flag? [ 18 Answers ]

I just turned 32 and I have been dating a guy who just turned 25. We had been going out for about 3-4 months, have known each other for about one year and a half and have told each other “I love you.” It has been an exclusive boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, and he mentioned marriage several...

Red flag? [ 23 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this forum and appreciate any input on a situation in my relationship with my fiancée. To start, I am from the USA and she lives in Europe. I met her in the summer on a tour to her country. We Yahoo chat often and exchanged many pictures. We were both clear that we are not...

View more questions Search