Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andylovespink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Dog sleeping outside
    I am moving house and my beagle who usually sleeps inside and has full run of the house now is not allowed inside. How do I make sure that she is safe and comfortable now sleeping outside? When I tried to put her outside she cried.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 08:42 PM
    I feel so sorry for your dog, but she can survive; she needs a bed and pen with a house off the ground; we'll talk about heat and air later.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Makes sure she is up to date on all of her shots. Heart worm prenvention is vital esp. for an outdoor dog. Rabbies shots are a must, you never know when a infected critter will come along. Parvo shots are another must. Flea prevention for her and your yard is also a must

Make sure she has a fresh supply of water. Fresh food.

Make sure she can't climb over the fence , there are not mean spirited children around to torment her. Make sure your gates have a good lock on them so no one can let her out. Remind everyone to shut the gate. Keep an eye out for her trying to dig out from under the fence.

Hopefully she will be loose in the yard or have a large kennel and not Tied!

Give her a dry, clean place to sleep. where the wind, rain and snow does not blow in on her. Provide a shaded area to get relief from the heat.

Most importantly provide your dog with, love, walks and playtime do not leave her outside and forget about her emotional needs.

I doubt if you can ever make her feel totally comfortable away from her pack and what she loves and would give her life for. But please just do not shut her completely out of your life, just because your circumstance/lving arrangements have changed... just because she has become an outdoor dog will not mean you will enjoy being outdoor as well. I hope if you can not find the time to spend quality time with her that you consider rehoming her.

This post really saddens me, because she probably feels rejected and most certainly does not understand why.

*edit* you may want to pay attention to her collar and get advice on what type to use. I would think that getting them wet and how loose you would want the collar to be would be a big factor (in case of it getting hung)Please do not leave a metal type chain on her. Many years ago I worked with a lady and her dog was left out during the day... it tried to jump the fence the collar got hung on the fence and when she came home she found the dog dangling dead from the fence.
    andylovespink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Makes sure she is up to date on all of her shots. Heart worm prenvention is vital esp. for an outdoor dog. Rabbies shots are a must, you never know when a infected critter will come along. Parvo shots are another must. Flea prevention for her and your yard is also a must

Make sure she has a fresh supply of water. Fresh food.

Make sure she can't climb over the fence , there are not mean spirited children around to torment her. Make sure your gates have a good lock on them so no one can let her out. Remind everyone to shut the gate. Keep an eye out for her trying to dig out from under the fence.

Hopefully she will be loose in the yard or have a large kennel and not Tied!

Give her a dry, clean place to sleep., where the wind, rain and snow does not blow in on her. Provide a shaded area to get relief from the heat.

Most importantly provide your dog with, love, walks and playtime do not leave her outside and forget about her emotional needs.

I doubt if you can ever make her feel totally comfortable away from her pack and what she loves and would give her life for. But please just do not shut her completely out of your life, just because your circumstance/lving arrangements have changed...just because she has become an outdoor dog will not mean you will enjoy being outdoor as well. I hope if you can not find the time to spend quality time with her that you consider rehoming her.

This post really saddens me, because she probably feels rejected and most certainly does not understand why.

*edit* you may want to pay attention to her collar and get advice on what type to use. I would think that getting them wet and how loose you would want the collar to be would be a big factor (in case of it getting hung)Please do not leave a metal type chain on her. Many years ago I worked with a lady and her dog was left out during the day...it tried to jump the fence the collar got hung on the fence and when she came home she found the dog dangling dead from the fence.

**********thanks for your advice. I rescured her from the rspca(pound) and she is my life, I love her so much and I would never tie her up and I have never and will never use a chain collar. She has a leather one that she can slip out of if she ever needed too. She also has a children's cubby house for her new home that has her favourite blanket and toys in there alon with clean fresh water. I will be going home at lunch to check on her and she gets walks morning and night. My biggest worry is her crying at night when I have to put her out. I have only left her out once and it killed me. It really upsets me to see animals abused or hurt on TV and I could never ever think of anything like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping so much [ 8 Answers ]

I sometimes sleepmore than 11 hours and but I like to sleep more.sometimes my clock alarms all one hours and I listen nothing! If I wake up at 10 AM today I can hardly wake before than 10 the next day and it not depend that when I go to bed it's last night.just if I don't sleep a complete day I...

Not Sleeping Well [ 5 Answers ]

My shih tzu is 9 years old. She has taken to having anxiety at night. She pants and is restless all night long. I am exhausted. I have tried giving her resuce remedy, placing her in bed, no help. She seems to be worse on nights it rains and/or is windy. I don't know what else to try. Any...

Sleeping Well [ 7 Answers ]

I have trouble falling asleep so much that it comes to staying up till 2am and I sleep in till 2pm, is there any common foods or drinks that could help me fall asleep better? P.s. I am only a preteen

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

Not sleeping well [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 18yrs old, just graduated from high school. I noticed there was something wrong with me during my last year of high school, so I started seeing a counselor/therapist. We've been talking for a while, and after 2or3 months, he told me that I have dysthymia. I started seeing my counselor in...

View more questions Search