Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muchneededhelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Gain custody of nephew in need
    My nephew is 3 months old and I know that the dad dose drugs maybe more than one type but the mom used too but quit but still allows the father even though the baby and dad are in same room small room so he is smoking pot around my nephew and nobody else is doing anything if the father were gone there would be no problem with her keeping him but until then I want to take custody without my nephew being put into foster care of any kind (North Carolina) is the state there in what are the steps I need to take I welcome all help and answers
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 21, 2008, 07:42 PM
    On this site, enter North Carolina, #1. For #2, under Child Abuse Neglect (CAN), click on Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect and Parental Drug Use As Child Abuse (they are one right after the other so easy to find). And, of course any other options that suit your situation. Under Child Welfare, click on Placement of Children with Relatives, toward the bottom of that part of the list. This is an excellent resource!

State Statutes

Based on this information, and only going on what you've provided, you do need to report this to CPS. When you do, you can state that you are a relative and would be available immediately for placement IF NEEDED. If he has some stuff stashed in the house, more than likely, it will be needed. Which means that she, the mom, runs the risk of being arrested as well. You can ask that along with your identity as reporter, your offer of relative placement also be kept as confidential collateral information.

Most states (meaning CPS) will place a child with a relative for temporary (or longer) foster care. It's a whole lot cheaper (or can be, anyway) than what it would cost for foster care and there usually are not a lot of foster homes available. You will have to go through background checks (along with any other adult in the home) and jump through any other paperwork hoops they put you through including scheduling a medical appointment for the child within so many days if that's not something they take care of at initial assessment.

The thing to be careful about... know what kind of emotions to expect from the parents and your other family members and be willing to deal with the backlash, should there be any. Good luck to you, I'm glad you have the child's safety at heart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

I am 25, my boyfriend is 29, we live together in a large 3 bedroom house in the country. He works for a farmer and mowes cemetery. I work for a lumber yard designing kitchen, I have been there for 1 year, also work for the park district and a café during lunch hour. I have a great car, health...

Custody of my little nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew's girlfriend gave birth on Friday and dyfs took the baby because they found weed in the baby's blood and now I want to help by getting custody. How can I go about that.

Custody of my nephew [ 5 Answers ]

My nephew and my sister in-law live with my husband and I and she is very neglectful with a record. His father also neglects him also with a record. Both currently are abusing drugs and alcohol. How do I file for custody and not have him put in foster care until the dust settles? Both parents...

Custody of ny niece and nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My younger sister asked me to help her out for a week or two by taking her son(2yrs) and her daughter(7mo.), its has been a little over a month but it seems as if my sister does not want to take responsibility of her children, which is not a problem for me because I would love to have them with me,...

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search