Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CJAdams Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Hanging a ceiling fan/light
    I have a room approx 25 x 30 floor space with a 24' high ceiling over half of it. My painter said there is a ton of heat being trapped up there so I bought 2 ceiling fans and want to know at what height they should be installed. And should one be higher than the other. They are 52" each.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Lightingfacts.com suggests "the blade on the lower side should miss the ceiling by a minimum 6" to a preferred 12", or maybe a bit more, possibly for looks, but after 12" you lose efficiency in the winter months"

CJAdams Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 11:23 AM
    This celing is so high that 12" down means the fans will be nearly 20' from the floor. That makes me dizzy just thinking about it... and changing light bulbs seems impossible. So probably I should get fans without lights and find other lighting solutions. Yes?
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 16, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Go to Hunter fans http://www.hunterfan.com/products/fa....php#extension and they give a good description of how to hang a fan based on ceiling height. This applies to all fans as they can use a down rod. If you want to mount the fan higher than the recommend eight feet above the floor and still use fan mounted lights, the bulbs can be changed by using an overhead bulb changer. This is nothing more than an adjustable rod with a device at the end that allows you to grab the bulb, remove and replace. Available at any home improvement store or well stocked hardware store.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Ok, for a 24' ceiling.. . Wow that's high.

Your best option would be to get some industrial fans. They are designed to me mounted on high ceilings, and move far more air than conventional fans, using less energy.

Here is some more information on industrial fans:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/i...iling-fans.php

Otherwise, make sure you get very high quality ceiling fans. Casablancas with the XLP motor, Emersons with the K55, or American made fans. Here is more information on the American made fans:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/a...iling-fans.php

As far as the ceiling height.. . 24' for a residential (non-industrial) fan is a tough one. Most companies will claim you want the fan 8-10' from the floor, but that would look ridiculous on your ceiling. Without doing any calculations I would consider an 8' downrod. But you can find more information on ceiling heigh considerations, as well as quality differences in fans and air movement, in the third and final link I am suggesting:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/a...iling-fans.php

Hope this helps!

Dan
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 06:33 PM
    I should add, I just re-read some of the other posts in the thread.. . 12" down works great on conventional ceilings, but on higher ones, it's downright (pun intended) silly. The fan would lose all affect in downdraft mode, which is what we use them in 75% of the time. You rarely reverse a ceiling fan when it's on a high ceiling, anyhow. If you're curious about that, check the last link I posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light Kit for Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought I Home Essentials ceiling fan from K-MART and I wired the fan portion just fine. The wires were nice and color coded Black to black, red to red, white to white and green to bare copper for the ground wire. I turned on the power and it works fine. When I shut the power back off,...

Ceiling fan/light [ 9 Answers ]

I did away with the remote receiver and wish to use the wall switch only: I have a wall switch labeled "general purpose ceiling fan control - non solid state." Now this switch has one lever that operates the fan from off to high,medium, L1, L2. Below that lever is another lever that operates the...

Light kit for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Harbor Breeze 52in. Helix II Ceiling fan. The light kit came with the fan. There are 5 G9 blubes that came with the light kit. My problem is that the fan works properly but the lights will not come on. The instructions say to "connect the black wire plug from the fan to the...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Wiring a Ceiling Fan (w/light) [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and I'm installing ceiling fans. I've installed 4 other ceiling fans with no issues and on my last one I'm scratching my head. For each fan I'm installing a switch with a separate fan and light controller on the wall (side by side sliders). There are 3 wires on...

View more questions Search