Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FLSu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 07:46 PM
    My dilemma with Hampton Bay fans...
    I have two 52" Maplewood ceiling fans by Hampton Bay. Both of them are inoperative because I cannot pull the cord switch from the center of the fan to turn the light on or off. Can you help me? What exacerbates the damn thing is that I have two new ones that I haven't mounted yet and this will be the third time that I have gone through this situation with this particular product. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2006, 06:25 AM
    So the chain just won't pull?

Those boogers do tend to fail after awhile. The chain can get jammed up in them.

Those pullchain switches are only a couple bucks and can be wired in easily.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flsu
    thanks for your help. I'll head over to Home Depot and see if I can pick a couple of those up, I was ready to trash them. Thanks again Frank L
    Maybe I misunderstood.

Are you saying that you cannot pull the chain on either of the new ones either?

If so, then I would suggest returning the new ones for exchange... and pick up a pullchain switch for the other one while you are there.

Sounds like they may have had a bad batch of pull-chain switches on a few fans...
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Feb 17, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Do these fans come with a remote? If so you may want to locate that and give the fan an electronic signal to unlock. Was the fan put in by an electrician? If not the wiring could be incorrect. Either way it is doubtful that two fans would fail at the switch due to a manufacturing defect. If you could provide more information we can at least narrow it down to an electrical or a mechanical problem and take it from there.

Feb 17, 2006, 07:13 AM
    I still have two new ones that are in the cartons. The two that are mounted
    Were both acting up at the switch point. Basically, the pull string was jammed or stopped working and after some manipulation they would work again. One is fine now, but the other is till inop. I tend to think that it is a mechanical prob. Vs an electrical. I'll take it apart this wknd and troubleshoot. Thanks for your assistance.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 06:25 PM
    You can purchase replacement pullchains and they are very easy to install-- much easier than taking the fan down and taking it back to Home Depot under warranty, which you could also do.

You will need a basic 2 wire on/off replacement pullchain. Home Depot sells them, as do most hardware stores. You inscrew the broken one, disconnect the two wires, connect the two wires from the new on in their place, and screw it back. Voilą!

Here is some more information on ceiling fan parts including pullchains:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-fan-parts.php

Feb 21, 2006, 06:56 PM
    This is a great response for my situation. Thanks and I will pick those up for my existing Hampton Bay fans. Truthfully, I dreaded the prospect of having to tear them down, package them up and try to get replacements. This wasn't even a possibility until you folks mentioned it. Thanks again for solving my difficulty. Best regards, FS
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 08:45 PM
    Let us know how it works. The replacement pullchains should cost no more than $5 each.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 8 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house that had beautiful ceiling fan in the master bedroom. This fan's blades have a ticking noise that increases as the speed is turned up. They are the snap in type blade not screw-in. I have tried to remove and replace them, used shims, and balanced the fan over and over...

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan purchased from Home Depot. The fan has a globe lamp just above the four light bulb outlets below the fan blades. My question is what is the best way to change the small light bulbs that have burned out inside the globe lamp? Do I have to take the whole fan down or...

Noisey Hampton Bay Fans [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased and installed four Hampton Bay fans. Two of the fans make a terrible rattling noise when they are on high speed and occasionally when they are on medium speed. The other two, seem to be fine at all speeds. The model of the fans is the Redington IV. Any suggestion?:confused:

Hampton bay ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how critical it is to ground a ceiling fan? Is it OK to two wire it from a swag chain? Or will this electrocute someone?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two Hampton Bay 60" Industrial Ceiling Fans (Model # 158 987) on the same electrical circuit. Unfortunately, I had installed the circuit before I purchased the fans. I now find that the 4 speed fan switch is not strong enough to properly operate both fans. They spin on the two...

View more questions Search