Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoodLuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
    F2 Treaty
    Thanks in advance

My husband came to US in 2002 in F-2 visa. He then went to Mexico and switched to F1 visa in Jan 2003. (He stayed in Mexico for 3 days).He has never been out of US ever since then. Can he claim US-China treaty of $5000? Please also provide the supporting documentation if possible.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 08:01 PM
    I believe he can. You'll need to check out provisions of the China treaty and how the IRS views them from IRS Pub 901.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

OPT->H1->EAD(from pending 485), tax treaty? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, I was on OPT/F1 till 06/05, on H1 from 06/05 to 08/05, then I started using my EAD obtained from my pending 485 from 09/05. I understand I can file as resident and use 1040 base on the substantial presence test as it is over 183 days since I used H1. But there is no case example...

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

Tax Treaty instructions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian national and am trying to apply for the personal + standard deduction as outlined in the US-India tax treaty. As I was going through the instruction booklet for tax treaties (Pub 901), it states the following: "The exemption does not apply to payments borne by a permanent...

View more questions Search