Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheema_1 Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Feb 15, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Winlogon.exe
    Hey I really need help my damn comp sux... ok it goes so slow b-coz winlogon is using its cpu... I heard it mayb virus how do I fix the damn problem...
    Someone please help me!!

I did a search for winlogon and found 2 files with same name in different places though... could one of these be the virus?? Should I delet it or what

Feb 15, 2006, 07:18 PM
    OK I just deleted the second winlogon and my winlogon is still using lots of cpu...
    The winlogon only seems to start using cpu when I connect to net... at first it wasn't using any cpu as soon as I opened a online game it started up again...
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 15, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Hi Sheema,
    Winlogon normally is a Windows tool but in your case I suspect it as a virus or spyware. Scan your system with Antivirus and with AntiSpyware to see if your computer is affected by any malwares.

Feb 16, 2006, 12:44 AM
    Hey
    Yea did the scans deleted a file which the scan said was high risk and I also deleted a bunch off stuff that it said was minimal threat and annoyance... but still it is affecting my comp!!
    There are a few more files and regerstry stuff that I am unable to find so can't get rid of it... but the scan says there minor, minimal or annoyance... are they still a risk to my comp if so what shall I do to kill them off
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2006, 02:25 AM
    What spyware programs are you using? Are you running them in safe mode? Here's what I recommend - starting from the very start...
    • Download & install AdAware and Spybot: S&D
    • Once installed you want to update the defintions in both these programs.

Open Adaware frst. If it gives you a popup saying your definitions are old - great. Press OK. Otherwise click the "Check for updates" link above the start button. Press connect and let AdAware download the latest definitions. Close the program as we'll be running the scan itself at a later stage.

Now open Spybot: S&D. On the main window you are presented with is a button saying "Search for updates". Press this. A new window will appear after a while with a list of updates. Check the checkbox next to all the updates and then press "Download updates". Yet again, clsoe Spybot: S&D down as we'll be doing the scan later.
    • To ensure that the scans pick up as many processes as possible we will be running the scans in safe mode. So to get into safe mode you first need to restart your PC.
    • As soon as your PC starts to load up, press & hold the F8 key.
    • After a while you should be given a choice of the different ways you can load Windows. One of these options will be "Safe Mode". Use you arrow keys to highlight "Safe Mode" and press enter. Your PC will now load in Safe mode.
    • In safe mode, the minimal processes are running - you won't even have the internet (this is why we updated the programs at the start).
    • Now load up AdAware and do a scan, telling it to fix any problems found.
    • Now do the same with Spybot: S&D.
    • All done - restart your computer and see how it runs.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Hi,
    After you run the Spyware scans, I highly recommend a free program I use, called SpyWare Blaster.
    It stops stuff like this from getting into the computer in the first place. Since using it, haven't found any spyware running scans.
    You can get it at:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbupdate.html
    Best of luck.

Feb 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
    God damn!! Well I can not get into safe mode which isn't a good sign!!
    Also while doing the scan I found file which is in system32 and I am unable to delet. It's name is mssearchnet... in the properties of the file under virus it says it has trojan... god damn this comp really sux lol
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Feb 19, 2006, 10:36 PM
    You better delete that thing.
    You can try to first locate it on the Disk (Hard drive) and then disable System Restore, by right clicking My Computer and selecting System Resote tab (... only if your are running Win XP)
    Then, delete that file (if it doesn't let you do so, try to see if there is a processor by that or similar name... End it... )

OR you can try some of these solutions...
    > http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/show...50/an/0/page/0

Feb 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
    Ahhhhh I have tried endin it from tsk manager it just reappears straight away... HELP
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 02:28 AM
    We really need to get that PC into Safe Mode. What happened when you tried to get it into safe mode? What went wrong?

Try taking a look at MSConfig (Start >> Run >> Type "msconfig" & press enter). Look on the startup and services tabs for any traces of this program and uncheck/stop them. Hopefully then you can just get rid of it in Task Manager without it coming back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Winlogon at 90% [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Win2K domain controller and the WinLOGON.exe is at 90% all the time. There are no viruses on the PC, I have the virus SW up to date and it has found nothing. The PC had the same problem in DEC, then it was fixed, but I forgot what fixed it :-( and now it has started again. Any...

WinLogon Memory Bloat [ 3 Answers ]

Last night I looked at my taskmaster, only t'realize that my Winlogon.exe is taking up *256M* of my memory.. more than half my systems memory. This morning, I reboot, and check.. Its back to under a meg of memory.. Now.. 12 hours later, its back up to 128M of Memory being used. Anyone have...

View more questions Search