Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp33 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Bathroom Subfloor Thickness
    I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. I put down 1/2" plywood for my subfloor and am now thinking I should have used 3/4". I am finished framing the shower so I do not want to rip anything out at this point. My original plan was to put 1/4" cement board over the plywood and then ceramic tile. Is 1/2" as the subfloor enough? Should I add another layer of plywood, 1/4" or even 1/2" over the existing 1/2"? I was thinking of putting down 1/2" cement board instead of the 1/4", would that suffice?

Same goes for the shower. Since I will not be using cement board would a thicker mortar bed do the trick there?

Thanks
    crjslick50 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2008, 07:12 AM
    You should have used 3/4 first with glue and screws. I would put 1/2 ply down on top of exsisting with the grain with the wood grain running oppisite of your exsisting 1/2 ply. Before laying it down be sure to put some wood glue between ply and then screw thruogh both sheets countersunk to joices. Good luck
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Apr 22, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Yes, follow the above instructions... I would go as far as saying use 3/4 over the 1/2.
    Using a thicker mortar bedding will do nothing for your support. You will need to add there as well. I use nothing less than 1/2 inch cement board.
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 09:26 AM
    I think the answer is somewhere in the middle here. Yes you should have started with at least 3/4" ply. Normally your Hardibacker for floors is 1/4" but 1/2" set in modified thinset will greatly increase the floor strength. Howvever, I would not take the chance since another mistake would be very difficult to correct. Put down another 1'2" glued and screwed. Then come back with the 1/2" Hardibacker. Hope you come back for more help when you go to set your toilet, we'll be here.
    jp33 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Thanks for the comments. My toilet happens to be wall hung so I should be OK there.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Hi Guys:

Thinking 1/2" plywood should have been 5/8" plywood minimum. Hardibacker states that they require a 5/8" plywood between 1/4" thick modified thinset mortar and their hardibacker.

James Hardie: HardieBacker 1/2'' backerboard

I am not sure this is helpful... but I would add 1/4" exterior grade plywood to 1/2" plywood (against grain)... and I would use rosin paper between plywood, not glue/adhesive (creates bellies)... OR AM I BEING OLD FASHIONED...? Then set 1/2" hardibacker in 1/4" modified thinset mortar (screw with hardibacker screws and tape joints appropriately).

I think a lot also depends on transition into the hall or other room at dooway. A marble threshold will hide much of this... if hall/other room finished floor height works with this..?

I am suggesting how I do things... but I am also asking how YOU GUYS do things... let me know.. always looking to learn.

Mark

Apr 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
    The two 1/2' sheet of ply add up to more than one 5/8" so I feel they should work with a 1/4" Hardibacker but I suggested 1/2" just to be certain. Two sheets of 1/2" are not as strong as one sheet or 1". Mr. Hardie must be a rich man based on how much of his stuff I buy. If you read my posts often you will see I really do like Hardibacker and Hardiplank. Funny thing, a 1/4' sheet cost $7.58 and a 1/2" piece cost $7.68, twice the thickness for a dime more.

Apr 22, 2008, 11:31 PM
    I have to wonder how much hands on work some people giving advise have... I get headaches trying to figure out some of these answeres... There are codes and such things as right and wrong. I often wonder where people get some of there info.
    Mike
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 03:46 AM
    Hey Bob.. did not see you advise the additional 1/2" plywood...all I saw was "put down another 1'2" glued and screwed".. kept reading and just thought you were suggesting OK for 1/2" hardi. over the 1/2" plywood. (Notice I also suggested 1/2" hardibacker (in 1/4" modified thinset)).

Tell me... do you still use rosin paper in between layers of plywood.. Or is it all "glue and screw" today.. I learned to glue and screw 1st layer plywood to joists... then rosin paper, then screw 2nd layer of plywood (into joists)... then install 1/4" modified thinset, then 1/4" or 1/2" hardibacker (or durock) screwed every 6 inches.

That is how I do it, Bob. My last post asked a question... so far not sure anyone read it... "I am suggesting how I do things...but I am also asking how YOU GUYS do things....let me know..always interested in seeing how others do things".

Let me know, Bob... just curious... Mark

And who is Mike the 1UNV talking too..

Apr 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Rosin is great between a sub floor and a tongue and grove hardword but not needed for the two 1/2" sheets of ply. Screw and glue and you are good to go, there will be no movement to cause squeeks, thats what rosin removes, squeeks. Not sure exactly what the iunv is talking about but its is the James hardie Company that created the installation spec. If code says 1/2" and Hardie says 3/4" you need to go with Hardie, always stronger and never weaker than what the manufacturer specifies. IBC doesn't get too specific when it comes to remodeling and adding a tile floor.

Apr 24, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Oh My... I wasn't sure what I was saying for a second myself... that answere was spose to be in another post... I was talking about the guy who said he was told he should sheetrock his entire house with cement board. I'm not sure sure how I got that post in here... I had to have flipped over and forgot... dang phone calls. Sorry!
    Mike

Apr 24, 2008, 07:19 AM
    The cement board guy should not listen to his friend. What a crazy idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thickness and bushy hair [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have veythick hair and its very bushy I would like to make it straight and less thick, please tell me how? When I take showers my hair gets like a bush and since its so thick it looks as if I had like an afro. Please tell me a way to make my hair thinner and straighter, I would really...

Hair Thickness [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I used to have quite thick hair until I started dying it black (for an ex who loved dark hair) and as time went by I kept dying it myself however instead of just doing my roots I would foolishly empty the whole bottle of dye onto my head and it just got thinner and thinner, along with letting...

Bathroom subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I had to replace the subfloor in my bathroom around the toilet not the whole thing just a cut out piece. Do I have to fill the gaps between my butted up pieces? If so with what? Secondly I also have to lay a partial piece of 3/4 on top of my base do I need to lay anything down on top of the...

Install bathroom plumbing undisturbed subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting an upstairs bedroom into a bathroom. There is an existing hardwood floor which I'd like to keep for the bathroom. Can I install the drains for the toilet and tub from under the bathroom floor without tearing up any of the hardwood floor and just cutting the floor at the drain...

View more questions Search