Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tech_geek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
    No non-compete, but contracting firms won't talk to me because I work for client
    I am a computer programmer. I am an employee of a large insurance company with a large technology division. My company also works with contracting firms to hire contract programmers on a temporary basis. There is an agreement between my company and the contracting firms it uses that prevents the contracting firms from recruiting from my company. My company apparently has contracts with most, if not all of the contracting firms in the area.

I am looking for a new programming job in my area. However, almost all of the companies in my area now do their technology hiring through these contracting firms. The contracting firms know that I am an employee of one of their clients and will not talk to me until I give notice that I'm going to quit. I don't want to quit until I have a new job lined up.

This has essentially kept me from being able to find a new job in my area as a programmer. I never signed a non-compete clause with my employer or anyone else. Is an agreement between my employer and other companies, but not myself, that essentially keeps me bound to my current employer, legal? If it is not legal, what can I do about it? All I want is to be able to find a new job without interference from my current employer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_geek
    I am a computer programmer. I am an employee of a large insurance company with a large technology division. My company also works with contracting firms to hire contract programmers on a temporary basis. There is an agreement between my company and the contracting firms it uses that prevents the contracting firms from recruiting from my company. My company apparently has contracts with most, if not all of the contracting firms in the area.

I am looking for a new programming job in my area. However, almost all of the companies in my area now do their technology hiring through these contracting firms. The contracting firms know that I am an employee of one of their clients and will not talk to me until I give notice that I'm going to quit. I don't want to quit until I have a new job lined up.

This has essentially kept me from being able to find a new job in my area as a programmer. I never signed a non-compete clause with my employer or anyone else. Is an agreement between my employer and other companies, but not myself, that essentially keeps me bound to my current employer, legal? If it is not legal, what can I do about it? All I want is to be able to find a new job without interference from my current employer.

If it's the policy of the prospective new company/companies I see nothing illegal. Your option would be to sue to force them to interview you (which pretty much would end that career opportunity), which I'm sure you can see makes no sense. Each employer is entitled to make rules and unless your rights are violated they are within legal boundaries.

Your rights are not being violated.

This is not terribly uncommon - same thing in a lot of professions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 01:51 PM
    No there is nothing illegal, you need to contact the people you want to work for, and explain you can't be hired though those firms, because of their contract they have with your company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contracting to have a fence installed in E TN [ 6 Answers ]

I am contracting to have a fence installed in our yard & have some questions. (I have spoken to two different companies and am getting conflicting info. I want to know if a Cedar fence will rot quickly if it is touching the ground. I would also like to know how long a Cedar fence last compared...

What are the various ways of contracting an STD? [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound like a silly question from a 23 year old.lol But I was wondering, what are the various ways of contracting an STD? I know of some of the obvious ways, but I wondered if there were any ways I do not know about as yet.

Do you talk about Politics @ work? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey there, Do you talk about Politics at work? Who do you talk to about your Politics opinion? Is that safe to talk about it at all? Why? I would like to see different reasons for that. Start myself, I don't mention a word about politics at work.

Contracting delema [ 1 Answers ]

I am a contractor. I have a contract with a customer for repairs and replacement of a buildings roofline. We have a signed contract for the set prices and scope of work to be done. The customer agreed to a deposit for the materials,and the work proceeded as normal,till winter ended the...

View more questions Search