Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 09:03 AM
    External hard drive
    I needed to back up some files right away and my friend used her portable hard drive to do it for me. Can I transfer them safely from her portable hard drive onto one I buy and if I can do that will that delete them from her hard drive unit?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 09:10 AM
    If you use the "cut" and paste method of transferring the files it will remove them from her external hard drive. I have an external hard drive that I use to store my downloaded movies onto when I run out of room on my regular computer's hard drive. I can move the files back and forth all I want and when I remove them from the external drive they are gone forever from the external drive.
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 09:19 AM
    twinkiedooter- can ypu please explain how I do this exactly step by step.. just want to get it right...
    She had plugged her external hard drive into the front of my computer there is only one slot there, do I plug the one I buy into another slot in the back then and just cut and past each file
    Appreciate it just not sure.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Apr 20, 2008, 10:13 PM
    If you use one of those little flash drives, it works just the same as though it were an internal drive. Is that what you are referring to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi good day I try to connect my external hard drive but its not work nothing comes up I think it's the jumper starter could you tel me how to connect it so it works please thanks

Installing second hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I own a DELL Optiplex 745 Mini Tower with 160 Gb SATA Hard drive. I attempted to add a second 160Gb SATA Hard drive. I connected the extra power supply to the second drive. I then connected a SATA data cable to the hard drive with the other end plugged in to a slot on the motherboard. I then booted...

External hard drive SHOWS WHERE? [ 2 Answers ]

External hard drive plug-in through usb port - shows in Device Manager as working fine But where is it? Must a drive letter be assigned? Running Vista Home (or is Vista running me?)

Hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

How do I transfer all the information from c drive to d drive?

View more questions Search