Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoodleBug Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Puppy wants in and out, in and out
    I take my now 9 week old puppy to work with me every day. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old so he is somewhat house trained already, and my office building is actually a house so there is a yard. My puppy will go to the door and whine when he wants to go out, which I know should be good. BUT, he will go out and run around for sometimes only two or three minutes then scratch and cry to come back in. Then 5 minutes later he is back at the door. I can't get anything done while this is going on! I try to watch him each time to see if the goes potty but after a couple minutes have to give up and go back to my desk. Sometimes he does go right out and potty but sometimes he just goes and finds a stick to start playing with. Is it OK to tell him no when he was just outside 5 minutes earlier or do I have to spend my day letting him in and out, in and out, in and out? And when will this stop! He doesn't do this at home, I have to keep asking him if he needs to go out there.
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
    I also take my dog to work with me at times. I work in a building that has a small yard, but not in an area where I can leave her out without me with her. She spends most of her time in the office, I do have toys and bones here for her to keep her occupied while I'm busy. She even has her own bed here, right next to a heater where she loves to curl up and take naps.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Hi,
    Nine weeks old is a wonderful age; full of energy and raring to go. I am not a Vet; just a dog lover for over 50 yrs, and a dog owner.
    The puppy is so full of energy, and being in a different place, wants to explore all he can, and may not feel that comfortable with being inside there.
    Your other answer about having some toys to play with is good.
    Here are two links which might help some with this. Have you considered a Crate (or small cage) to use at work? You are absolutely right about not being able to get any work done!

http://www.leerburg.com/housebrk.htm
    Very good information, with info on crate use

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html
    Tips on Crate Training.

Sometimes, feelings are, "I don't want to put my puppy in a cage", but crates are for that. It might work for him. I do wish you and him the very best, and have a good time with him.
    DoodleBug Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 07:48 AM
    I have toys for him to play with and I do bring him in a carrier every day which doubles as his crate, he sleeps in it at night. But if I try to keep him in there when he wants to be running around he cries. I guess I'll just have to deal with it until he stops doing it. Thanks to everyone.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 08:20 AM
    I don't see this as a housebreaking problem, but a matter of occupying the puppy when it is awake. Few puppies can resist a Kong with a little peanut butter in it. He will be too busy licking at it to want to go out. Show a little care on how much. Peanut butter is fairly nutritious, but not the complete and balanced diet most chows provide. This is more of a factor for a small dog that doesn't eat that much. Freezing it makes a little go further. Some dogs can be kept busy with a kibble ball. It has small holes and the kibble falls out as the dog rolls it around.

You are fortunate to be able to take your puppy to work. I want to try to help you stay on task so you can continue. My daughter is turning the Shepherd in Saturday she raised for a dog guide school. Some of the people in her office

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't eat [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 13 week old Dachshund and Monday she started acting like she wasn't feeling well, by this morning she hadn't eaten or drank anything so I took her to the vet. They put 150cc's of fluid subcutaneously and gave her a shot of antibiotic, the thought was she may have a bladder infection...

New Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I have an eight week old dachshund puppy that I've had for three days. This moring I noticed a very small amount of blood in her stool that she passed at the very end. How serious is this? Thank you, Kelly

Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We have took in a stray puppy so we do not know all of her habits, we took her to the Vet right away because she had ticks & flea all over her when she wondered into my husbands work. The vet gave her shots, and said she is about 8 weeks old. My questions her skin is very hot to the touch on her...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search