Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anusaran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Formal Dress Code
    Hi all,

I've been invited to attend an awards ceremony and the dress code is mentioned as formal. I live in a middle eastern country and my parents don't really approve me wearing a dress. Would it be appropriate to wear a long skirt dress in black or a saree? :confused: Or would it better if I wore a work pantsuit?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid... am not used to western dress codes and etiquette's!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 04:05 AM
    It is perfectly acceptable to wear what your culture perceives as 'formal wear'; a long skirt dress in black, or a saree, would be appropriate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 07:06 AM
    What ever is "formal" and acceptable as formal in your county is what you can wear.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Whatever you would wear comfortably within your own culture to a formal affair is appropriate and there is a lot of leeway in particular for women. A sari would be lovely and appropriate for just about any Western (American, European) event I can imagine and a longer dress would also be entirely appropriate. A pantsuit would be OK if it's very dressy but a work-type pantsuit would not be adequately formal for the event you are describing.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 10:36 PM
    A sari would be perfect. I went to an East Indian wedding a few years back and dressed like I normally would. All the relatives and allot of the friends wore the traditional sari, boy did I feel under dressed, some of the saris were more gorgeous than the wedding gown.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 11:10 PM
    I have to admit, I have a lot of friends from the middle east and I'm totally jealous of their sari's. I think they're sooo gorgeous. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8th grade semi-formal dress needed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is my first question so here it goes: I need a cute dress for my little 8th grade final dance thing aka semi-formal. I really need a cute color and type of dress but I'm completely stuck:( I have dark brown hair and brown puppy dog eyes with a slight tan. I'm not really looking for a poofy...

Another semi- formal dress dilemma. [ 12 Answers ]

Oh God. Well, I know I am one of countless people who have asked this, but my question still stands: I have no Idea what to wear to my semi- formal!! :confused: I am... umm... 5 ft. 4in. I have REALLY pale skin (like unnaturally, snow- white pale) and I have blue/gray eyes and hair that was once...

Is my dress semi formal? [ 1 Answers ]

OK so I am attending to this semi formal party in California and OMG I never been to a party before the first party I went to was a freak dirty dancing party and I was dresses like a church girl LOL... well anyway my dress is black silk, spagetti strap and blackish gold beeds around my dress and...

I need help finding a semi-formal dress for wedding [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am 56 years old. I have gained weight so that I now have a dilemma when it comes to choosing a dress! I need a semi-formal dress to wear to two weddings actually. My problem is that my measurements are now 40-42-53. If I find a dress that fits my bustline, it's not big enough for my hips....

I need help finding a semi-formal dress [ 3 Answers ]

I'm going to a semi-formal dance that my school has on February 12. They have one every year and this year I am a sophomore, so I know what to expect. Last year almost everyone wore black, but a few people wore brighter colors like red and light pink and they really stood out. Everyone that I have...

View more questions Search