Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Problem with Dlink DSL-500 router
    Hello,
    I've stopped DHCP and DNS on the win2k3 server and made the router works as DHCP and DNS ( ADSL router Dlink DSL-500 ).
    Problem is when I try to setup a new computer to be a member of the domain it just fails giving an error that it can't resolve the name, while from the same computer I can access Internet without any problem.
    Does this means that the DHCP and DNS servers have to be always on the win2K3 ? Or what ?
    By the way current computers which are already a member of the domain logon normally without any problem.

Why did I stoppthe DHCP and DNS on the server, because stoping it on the router didn't allow me to make the router works like a modem only.

Greetings
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 15, 2006, 01:29 PM
    After a quick look on D-links site Here,this has been discontinued and, In my opinion, may just be easier to replace than try and trouble shoot.
    It maybe something as simple as a incompatablilty with 2k3 and Domains, but as the firmware hasn't been updated since 2001 I would cut and run.
    greenman Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 02:08 PM
    You might want to check the setting on the router, especially DNS. Does your ISP specify a primary and/or second dns server? I am also assuming you have rebooted the server.
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Yes, my ISP provide 2 DNS.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 15, 2006, 02:33 PM
    OK there's part of your problem, the ISP supplied DNS settings.
    This will work fine for external comms, but as they aren't set to recongnise your domain controller you won't be able to join the domain.
    Have you tried setting the router DNS to look at your DC's DNS and use your ISP's DNS setting on your DC ?

You shuld still be able to use the router as DHCP server.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 15, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Ben is right! (there I said it :D damm that spread reputation thingy) the clients are ignoring the server and going straight out to the internet.

I would definitely use w2k3 as both dhcp and dns, your clients will have severe problems without this. Turn off DHCP on the router, leave DNS as is on the router and use the "forwarders" section in the server properties of the DNS window to specify the router as a dns forwader.

In my opinion the dhcp on win servers is better than the routers anyway as you can specify reservations (effectively static ip's) and also configure the dns server addresses to go out with the DHCP addresses (also should be server ip not router - use with forwarders on server).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router problem [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have three PC sharing my IP using a Linksys router. My problem is that I had all three PC's up and running for a few hours then lose their internet connection. If I run my cable from the modem directly to the PC it works, this is the second router I have tried both with the same problem...

WAP vs Router [ 14 Answers ]

So what is the difference between WAP and a router? I have a router with 4 computers wireless and 2 desktops wired. All have their own internet access (I don't access the internet through any one computer). I want to get a wireless printer server. Would I hook that up to another port on the...

Router shutdown [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Linksys router which works fine most of the time. But when I try to use multimedia (such as on line radio), I loose connectivity and have to power the router off/on to restore connection. I can go to any site, as long as I don't try to listen to music online there is no problem. Have tried...

CNC Router [ 2 Answers ]

We are using WINCNC. Is there something better? We have a Warthog CNC router, but the manufacturer's tech support isn't helping us very well. We checked the resolution and backlash compensation, but our cuts are out of the path at at the entry and withdraw points of the lines. A straight line...

2 router lan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm at a complete loss here... Net goes into a 4 port Netgear router. 3 ports are directly connected to computers, one runs down to another room. In that room is a lynksys router, that used to be a 3Com hub. The line from the netgear goes into the router, then 2 computers are attached...

View more questions Search