Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nazaria75 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Fathers rights
    Can I ask the father of my unborn child to give up his parental rights? Will it be binding even after the child is born?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Why do you want it

Apr 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
    I want to make sure he will not have any say so about the baby or use the baby against me out of spite. I do not want any financial help . I have children from a previous marriage and it was not and still not pleasant. So if I can avoid the hassel even if I have to bribe. Can it be done in California?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nazaria75
    I want to make sure he will not have any say so about the baby or use the baby against me out of spite. I do not want any financial help . I have children from a previous marriage and it was not and still not pleasant. So if I can avoid the hassel even if I have to bribe. can it be done in California?
    Well,you do not want any financial help now but do you know what will happen after a year,two years,ten years... Of course you can sign a sort of agreement but you have to think that your agreement is a revocable act and can be set aside at any time by both parties there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 07:10 AM
    First no you can not do anything until the child is born.
    Next it is doubtful if the state ( judge) will allow him to give up his rights anyway, and even if the judge would, that does not stop his legal obligation to pay child support.

The state will hold him liable for example if you or the child has to receive any state aid or support for repayment.

You may sign some form that is not really legally binding and maybe he will just go away, but I doubt it will work though a judge

Apr 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Thank you GV70 and Fr_Chuck for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers Rights [ 4 Answers ]

What if the parent signs their rights over and the other parent signs the paper that the child support is to stop.Will a jude allow that?

Fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

What sort of rights does an absentee father have? I am almost due to give birth and the father of my child has not been around for the last 6 months what sort of rights will he have? Really need help!

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can I relinquish my parental rights to a child who I adopted prior to the marriage?

Fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby girl named emma, the mother doesn't want her to have my last name. What rights do I have to get that changed? I pay child support...

Fathers rights [ 3 Answers ]

MY boyfriend will not sign his rights away to his 5 year old son who he hasen't seen in three years because the girl moved to another state and when he was paying child support the girl still wouldn't let him seen his little boy. The girl got married and wants her husband to adopt the little boy so...

View more questions Search