Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jklmnop Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Keep flipping breaker
    I have run new wire from one outlet to a switch to another outlet, for some reason while the switch is on everything works fine, when I switch it off it throws the breaker. I am running the switch to operate a garbage disposal so I can't very well leave it running all the time. Starting to get frustrated but wondering what I am doing wrong.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Did you just install the disposal? If you did, where did you draw the power from for the Disposal unit? If you took it from one of the two mandated 20 amp branch circuits for the kitchen and dining room, you've violated NEC Code.

You should be using a 15 amp circuit, not 20 amp.

I need you to give us a very careful description of exactly how the Disposal unit is wired into your circuit. Start with the breaker and follow the branch circuit out to the switch and then to the Disposal unit.

Apr 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jklmnop
    i have run new wire from one outlet to a switch to another outlet, for some reason while the switch is on everything works fine, when i switch it off it throws the breaker. i am running the switch to operate a garbage disposal so i can't very well leave it running all the time. starting to get frustrated but wondering what i am doing wrong.
    I haven't plugged in the disposal yet, just plugged in my power drill, the outlet works while the switch is hot, but when I turn the switch off it kills the breaker. The line I am using runs as follows, breaker to one outlet then another, on the second outlet there is a light that runs over the sink and a third outlet that goes to the other side of the wall from this outlet I ran new wire to my switch then to another outlet for the disposal, all I have is the white and black wire for all connections no ground. The house was built in the late 60's, if that helps

Apr 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jklmnop
    i have run new wire from one outlet to a switch to another outlet, for some reason while the switch is on everything works fine, when i switch it off it throws the breaker. i am running the switch to operate a garbage disposal so i can't very well leave it running all the time. starting to get frustrated but wondering what i am doing wrong.
    Do I need to run a new breaker to do this. I am wanting to add the disposal to a sink that has never had disposal before. Just need a switch to run the outlet that runs the disposal it is a 20 amp breaker in the box, I do want to do this to code, but I am no electrician.. just need some helpful advice.
    HSDADIALA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 04:02 AM
    1. When you open the switch there is some arcing in the circuit which results in short circuit hence mcb trips. If the switch you open is double pole replace it with a mcb or a new one .
    Also check for loose contacts in the wiring.
    2. If you are operating motor with this switch please do the coordination of mcb with it to protect it closely. The information can be had from the rating plate on the motor.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 05:06 AM
    If you ran a cable from the old outlet to the switch and a cable from the switch to the disposal outlet.

At the old outlet connect the black wire going to the switch to the black wire of the outlet. Connect the white wire going to the switch to the white wire of the outlet.
    At the switch connect the two white wires together with a wire nut.
    Connect the two black wires to the switch.
    At the disposal outlet connect the black wire to the dark or brass colored screw.
    Connect the white wire to the light or silver covered screw.

If you ran a cable from the old outlet to the disposal outlet and a cable from the disposal outlet to the switch.

At the old outlet, connect the black to the black and the white to the white.
    At the new outlet connect the white from the old outlet to the light or silver colored screw.
    Connect the black from the old outlet to the white going to the switch.
    Connect the black from the switch to the dark or brass colored screw.
    At the switch connect the black and white to the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Habitual Hair Flipping [ 2 Answers ]

There is no correct place to ask this question, so I apologize if it is off-topic. Can habitual hair flipping lead to brain damage? (A Hair Flip, in this case, is a quick motion of the head to move the hair that has fallen in front of the face, to the side again.)

Probability of flipping a coin. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the probability of flipping 5 coins and getting all heads or all tails?

Nails.how to make them flipping stronger! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm thirteen and all I seem to care about is how I look lately, I like making a good impression of myself but my nails really let me down, I've tried nail strengthener, jelly cubes, and nothing... my nails aren't the slightest bit stronger... it takes the mick! Has anyone got any advice on how...

Flipping houses [ 1 Answers ]

Do you need a real estate license to flip houses?

Flipping Coins, Seeking Heads [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I know if I flip a coin the chances are 50/50 that I will get either heads or tails. Let's say I get tails. What are the chances that I will get heads the second toss? I understand at one level it's 50/50 each toss... but still I feel there should be at least a slightly greater...

View more questions Search