Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
    My First Resume - Tips Needed
    Hello, Everyone,
    I hope you are doing well. I graduated from a university last year and am now looking for my first job out of college. I really, really need help with my resume and am hoping for specific tips. I have already read guides and such and this resume is based on a bunch of tips that I have read. The format of the resume is just as important as the writing, so any thoughts on the format would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,
    Victor Ly

Alternatively, please check out the following for the resume:>personal Info Removed<
    Babble05 Posts: 13, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
    The easiest way to make a resume is to use Microsoft Works, which has a resume builder. It has some neat and organized resume templates. It also gives the option of using decorative borders and such to make it more appealing. Microsoft Works is usually a basic package that is installed on all pcs and mainly used for its word processor program.
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Hello, Babble05,
    Thanks for replying. According to the guides that I have read and the tips that I have gotten from professionals, I should not use templates, especially those that come with any of Microsoft's word processing programs. Potential employers, I have been told, can easily figure out that I used templates and are likely to simply assume that I am lazy.

Thanks anyway,
    Victor Ly
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:12 PM
    I work in an HR department - we see template resumes all the time, no big deal. Considering you are a new graduate and don't have a lot of experience, this shouldn't be seen as a negative by potential employers. The thing about templates is they keep everything neat and easy to read; it's also easy for you to be consistent in how you present yourself on paper, which is very important.

Since your most recent experience was in Sept 2007, you might want to include a section detailing the course work you completed as it would relate to the position you seek. Some of the information in your profile might be better served in a cover letter, and you should consider using an "Objective" statement instead of "Profile". If you keep the "profile" portion, I'd shorten it to the first line only, and maybe work in that you are a new graduate. The rest of the information (other languages, computer experience, etc) should go elsewhere, and ideally, be bulleted. Remember, LOTS of people apply for jobs (especially entry-level) and recruiters need to be able to glacé at your resume and get an idea of your accomplishments, skills and abilities. The less wordy, the better. I do think you made a wise decision in putting your education first; that way employers can see what you've been doing most recently. Consider adding your GPA (if it's high) and add if you made it on the Dean's list or whatever.

Remember a lot of people tailor their resume to specific jobs they apply to by re-arranging the bulleted items to emphasize experience in one area over another. So, if you are applying for a position with an educational facility, you'd want to list your experience with the things most relevant to the job description first (your tutoring experience and creating curriculums). You might want to group like things together anyway, as it makes reading your resume and judging your experience a little more linear.

I'd also detail "managed various projects", as that can mean any number of things, as well as "creating curriculums". What kinds of projects? What kinds of curriculums? Since you don't have a lot of work experience, put as much info as you can on what you HAVE done.

Also, I'd stick with "assisted" instead of "helped", but I think that's more of a personal thing of mine than anything else!

Overall, it looks good. I know my post is long and has a lot of suggestions, but really, you're off to a good start. Have you checked to see if your school has a program to help Alumni prepare their resumes and cover letters? That can be a great resource too. Oh, and ALWAYS put a cover letter with your resume - it helps it stand out! :)

Good luck on your job search!
    Babble05 Posts: 13, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 21, 2008, 02:22 AM
    I also work in management and we get a lot of template resumes, and no one even thinks anything except that it is organized and professional. Besides that, the templates are more for an example other than simply using it. You have to use a template and add the additional information that you think is necessary.
    agent4letstars Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 08:52 AM
    LOL... oh how fun.. yeah.. being organized = lazy.. lol
    I don't know who told you that, Victor, but don't ever listen to them again!

Not only does the template organize your information.. but hey.. guess what..
    Employers don't like when you waste time doing something that has already been done!
    (like spending hours setting up a resume on your own when you can use a template and just throw your own personal information in, in just minutes)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need resume help, please! [ 3 Answers ]

All right well this year I'm a senior, and I want to go to school for radiology. But the problem is... im not really sure on how to write a resume. And that's the only thing stopping me from starting my applications. I already have my letters of recommendation... but they need a resume and I don't...

Winterizing Waverunner Tips Needed [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out the basic steps for winterizing my yamaha waverunner (new in 2007). It has had the first warranty service but I don't want to pay the big bucks for the dealer to do it. Has anyone had success doing it themselves? I need a easy way to do it as I am not mechanically inclined.

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How to make an effective resume?

New Central AC Needed. Tips? Warnings? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in south Florida, so a central AC is mandatory, to say the least, almost year round. The existing unit, about a ten year old Rheem with an 11 seer, 3 ton, is ready to be retired. We have decided to go with a whole new unit, (compressor and air handler). The compressor is located outside...

Resume needed if I am filling in a job application? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to write a resume too if I am filling in a job application?

View more questions Search