Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deb53 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Daughter, divorce
    I have a daughter who at the moment is in a mental ward of a hospital.
    Her husband recently served her divorce papers, at the hospital.
    She is in no way capable of going to court at this time. Can they do this?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Can they serve her with papers? Yes

She can go thro a psychological evaluation to see if she's fit to stand trial.

In all the pre-motions and stuff, she doesn't have to be there, her lawyer can do that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 03:04 PM
    If she is not competent, and has a guardian assigned, they can serve the guardian.

I will ask this, are there children involved ?

A lot of property ?

If there is little property and no children and he wants a divorce, then one merely has to sign the divorce papers that are draw up. Many men and women who have no children or that can agree merely hire the same attorney and just get divorced
    deb53 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 01:18 PM
    She does not have a guardian at this time, but I am in the process of getting her a temporary guardianship. There is one child, 3 months old. At this moment she is not competent to have custody, but I want to make sure that she will still have some rights after she is back on her medications.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
    She will always have rights, but often will have to prove she is mentally sound to be capable.

Next does the father even want the child ? Sadly many don't.

But believe me no child custody case is ever over. Till that child is 18 both parties can ( and often do) go back to court every year or even every few months to have this motion over turned to have this motion heard.

When my two oldest ( now 30 and 28) were young we changed custody 4 times before they finally turned 15 and decided to move and live with me.
    She got first custody, I went back when they were about 6 and got temp custody, she got them back, I got them back about two years latter, she came back and got them and finally they wanted to come and live with me.

Believe me the cases are hard. I had evidence in every case where their money abused them physcially, where she drank, brought various (dozens) of men home, would leave the children at home by their self for hours ( latter with younger children from other men)

I always had a higher paying position, large home and so on. But as you see twice even with that evidence I still lost custody. So in a couple years I would refile. Depended at times on the judge I got and other issues.

Most likely at this time, what I would push ( hire an attorney to work on your daughters behalf) pospone the divorce proceedings pending the health of your daughter, OK if the man gets temp custody, since he most likely already has them physcially. Get grandpartent visitation right for now, so you can keep in contact and not let them get poisoned about their mom.
    Demand a complete accounting of all assets as of now, so that he can't hide them prior to division of assets. Lotsof other things I am thinking of, but hiring her an attorney would take care of it,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Help my Daughter! [ 5 Answers ]

Excuse me, if my message does not correspond to rules of your conference. We live a small city in the Samara Region called Chapaevsk in Russia. Our daughter Lenochka is 14 years old. Since childhood she has been suffering from a very serious disease lymphostasys of lower extremities. Last year...

Help my Daughter! [ 1 Answers ]

Excuse me, if my message does not correspond to rules of your conference. We live a small city in the Samara Region called Chapaevsk in Russia. Our daughter Lenochka is 14 years old. Since childhood she has been suffering from a very serious disease lymphostasys of lower extremities. Last year...

My daughter [ 5 Answers ]

I need some serious help, my daughter is 13 years old and I think that she may be starting her period, I'm her father and her only parent could someone tell me at what age girls usually start there periods I know it must be a silly question but I'm a guy and I have no idea? Thanks

Daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I would be happy to help you. Check out my site! LoriAngelConnectio

View more questions Search