Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Apr 19, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Domistic Partner Health Insurance
    I'm being placed on my partner's policy. I have my own ins. via the union (I'm
    Retired), but my union coverage converts to a medicare that is taken over by an
    HMO and I don't that. I'll be 65 soon. Then they said, if anything happened to
    My partner, I'd need COBRA and then hope my union will take me back.
    Does that sound right? My partner's going on medicare as soon as she retires.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Actually once you turn 65 in the US you are forced to take the medicare of the US government, you can do it directly though the government or you can do a managed care plan though an insurance company.

After that you would have a medicare suppliment, so your partners insurance will not furnish you anything other than a medicare suppliment after you are 65.
    I can not tell you what is best for you, but your parners insurance will not pay any more than your medicare suppliment, and if you do not take out medicare at this point,

I would have to see what HMO ( it will have to be a medicare program)
    They offer, most are pretty good. If not, medicare with a private carrier like Mutal of Omaha would most likely be the best
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Apr 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
    I'm not sure where the forcing someone to go on Medicare comes from. We have several clients that have chosen to stay with the group plan they are part of and not sign up for Medicare. Some companies as part of their plan may request it.
    It is beneficial, cost wise, to the company and the other participants in the plan to switch to a supplement plan if allowed. Groups of over 20 employees are not allowed to move active employees to a Medicare Supplement plan and they must remain on the group plan. A group may set up a Medicare plan for retired employees though.
    Check your options on supplement plans, some offer PPO's and some of the newer FFS can work like a PPO. Also check to see if they are "Group" supplement plan and not individual plans. Group offer richer benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

We have no health insurance [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has diabetes he is 59 yrs old unemployed as I am presently. Neither one of use have health insurance, I have high blood pressure and we are non-smokers. Is there any health insurance we can buy out there?

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My doctor's office will not release a claim to me with all the necessary information such as the diagnosis code and service code (cpt) because of HIPAA ? I have a self insured plan, the doctor is non-par and will not bill it, and I am trying to get myself paid. How can I get this information ? And...

How do I suggest that my partner goes for a mental health assessment [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for more than 4 yrs now. Over the years I have noticed some strange behaviors from him and whenever I've tried bringing these to his attention he just gets angry or he shuts me up and says things like it's his life, he can do as he pleases or he will become verbally...

No health insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just recently discovered a lump. He has no insurance and needs to get a biopsy done right away. He cannot afford the costs, is there any way or anyone to help?

View more questions Search