Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deliah Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Marriage Annulment
    I married my Internet love 4 years ago in the UK. Things just didn't work out, and I left the UK after 6 months of being married. Does this mean that I can have the Marriage Can I perform a marriage Annulment. My "husband" in the UK refuse to give me a divorce, says he doesn't have to ever get married again, and will not give me a divorce. We have not seen each other since March 2005, when I left the UK. We were married in Sept 2004.

Please help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Where are you at NOW, if not in the US, most likely you are going to have to file for a divorce, either under the laws of the UK or if your new nation will allow under the terms of the nation you are now living at.

Apr 19, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I am in the USA, CA. I married in the UK, London.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Are you Catholic?

If so, please ask a priest or a Church official. You will have to provide more details than you have in this post.

If you want to maintain anonymity, you can ask online at the following websites:

Coming Home Network
    This is a website for converts to Catholicism, but the moderator known as Cajun Rick seems very knowledgeable about annulments and Canon Law with reference to marriages:

http://www.chnetwork.org/forums/

Or you can ask the experts at EWTN:
    Experts Answer Catholic Faith Questions on EWTN

You can also search the frequently asked question database while you wait.
    Document Title

They are very busy and you may have to try several times to submit your question.

Or you can ask a priest at this website:

Ask a priest opener

Or you can ask the Vatican directly. Zenit is the Vatican's official newspaper.

The World Seen From Rome

Or you could simply go to your local Catholic Church.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Apr 19, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Im not Catholic. We were married in the registry office in London.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 01:35 PM
    I think they confused the Catholic Annulment with the legal one to use instead of Divorce, Also I meant UK, not US when I asked what nation, a typo on my part.

But you need to check with a US divorce attorney, depending on how long you have lived here in the US, I believe you can file in the state you are now living, esp if there is no division of property, no child custody and no child support to deal with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annulment of Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if I am expecting a baby and already have a child with my husband if we can get the marriage annulled or do we have to get divorced. There has been no cheating or fraud involved we just do not want to be married anymore what do I do get a divorce or an annulment

Marriage annulment [ 1 Answers ]

I married my husband on 01/10/06, and from day 1 he has always lied to me, we have never till this very day lived together or consummated, and I would like to know if I can obtain a marriage annulment based on this and also on the fact that he only married me to obtain his uk rights here. He is...

Marriage Annulment/divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I have been married for 2 days and it feels like the biggest mistake I have ever made can I get an annulment?

Annulment vs divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was married at age 15. Since she was so young, and the marriage only lasted 1.5 years, can she qualify for an annulment. We live in the state of Florida.

View more questions Search