Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newschul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Installing toilet directly on concrete subfloor/slab
    Living in a loft - going for that "loft" look and want to re-install my toilet directly onto the concrete slab (floor had ceramic tile before). Concerned that the flange will not be set low enough in current state - don't want gap between toilet base and floor obviously. Is there a type of flange that I can install that will "flush"out with the concrete? Or will the toilet sit down fine on a typical flange? Or do I need to break out some concrete and drop a typical flange down so it levels out with the concrete?
    Any help appreciated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 12:22 PM
    What kind of pipe/flange is this newschul?

Black, ABS plastic?
    White, PVC plastic?
    Black, Cast iron metal?

Or rarely nowadays... copper or brass pipe/flange?

Let us know.. then can advise you best... Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
    You're going to like this.
    I''m Concerned that the flange will not be set low enough in current state
    Set your mind at ease. The flange will mount directly on the tile floor. The bowl is recessed so it will fit right over the flange. Good luck, Tom
    newschul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Thanks you - just finished the job. Turns out it's not any different from installing a toilet over the tile. In fact, probably a better seal between the toilet and the "cast iron" pipe since they are closer together now. Yes, the underside of the toilet is recessed - I knew that I was just testing you. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing plumbing under Concrete Slab [ 1 Answers ]

We are converting a large garage to a living space and will be installing plumbing under a concrete slab that has not yet been poured. Is there a good, understandable resource for this kind of information. Each company we talk to gives us different information. We have a permit and want to do it...

Installing tub on a concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

What would I need to have done before the concrete is poured for the floor?

Installing a toilet in concrete slab [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, This is a great forum. I was wondering if you could offer me some advice? I am converting part of my garage into a bathroom. I will be busting up the concrete and running a new 3'' pipe for the toilet. My question is regarding the vent. How far away can I be really? There is an existing...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a toilet in the basement with proper vent. I want to add a bathtub near the toilet. After I jackhammer up the concrete and install the tub trap and drainage into the toilet drain, how do I seal the floor under the tub? The outside part is open and it should be easy to pour concrete mix and...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a tub to existing plumbing, but it's on a concrete slab. We've jackhammered the concrete so that I have enough room underneath to put in the drain and p-trap, but am I going to have to buy the tub, set it in place, hook up the plumbing and then remove it to replace the concrete?

View more questions Search