Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    warrento Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Solenoid wiring for a Murray Riding Mower
    Can anyone tell me how to wire a 12HP 38" Cut Murray Riding Mower from the switch to the solenoid to the battery. I have one wire that attaches with a clip to a post on the solenoid and a yellow wire that goes to the switch or the seat cutoff and a large red wire with a smaller red wire attached that goes to positive post of battery and then the black wire that is attached to the frame of the mower and goes to the negative battery post. Also, the small red wire has a fuse in it. Please help.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Are you replacing the wiring harness, switch, or solenoid, what are you doing?
    warrento Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I am replacing the solenoid, and don't remember how the wires came off.
    michajr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
    I have a murray riding mower. I recently replaced the solenoid. The big red wire from the battery and the wire with the fuse go on the left side as you are looking at it from the seat. The other small wire (black) goes on the base of the solenoid on the opposited side to ground the solenoid. Then there is another wire (orange) that fits on the clip on the side of the solenoid. Last the other big wire goes on top of the right side of the solenoid. Good luck.
    michajr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by warrento
    Can anyone tell me how to wire a 12HP 38" Cut Murray Riding Mower from the switch to the solenoid to the battery. I have one wire that attaches with a clip to a post on the solenoid and a yellow wire that goes to the switch or the seat cutoff and a large red wire with a smaller red wire attached that goes to positive post of battery and then the black wire that is attached to the frame of the mower and goes to the negative battery post. Also, the small red wire has a fuse in it. Please help.
    I have a murray riding mower. I recently replaced the solenoid. The big red wire from the battery and the wire with the fuse go on the left side as you are looking at it from the seat. The other small wire (black) goes on the base of the solenoid on the opposited side to ground the solenoid. Then there is another wire (orange) that fits on the clip on the side of the solenoid. Last the other big wire goes on top of the right side of the solenoid. Good luck.
    imanol Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 06:06 AM
    [QUOTE=michajr;1156292]I have a murray riding mower. I recently replaced the solenoid. The big red wire from the battery and the wire with the fuse go on the left side as you are looking at it from the seat. The other small wire (black) goes on the base of the solenoid on the opposited side to ground the solenoid. Then there is another wire (orange) that fits on the clip on the side of the solenoid. Last the other big wire goes on top of the right side of the solenoid. Good luck.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 11:57 AM

Hi,
    The large red wire goes to the solenoid on one of the large posts, does not matter which. The other large red wire goes to the starter. The small red wire provides power to the wiring harness so that the key switch can trigger the solenoid to crank the engine, and to work the fuel shufoff solenoid if so equipped.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    roy72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 09:13 PM
    On my murray the yellow wire has a quick connect on it that hooks to the yellow wire coming from the seat switch which comes through the frame right around the solenoid. The orange wire does go to the solenoid's small terminal but, however there is another yellow wire on the harness at the key switch and it and the orange wire are the ones that run through the safety switches in the brake pedal and the blade engagement safety switch to complete the circuit to allow the engine to start. The red and the white wires go to the plug coming out of the cover over top the starter. These two wires come from your magneto go through the switch and the small red wire goining to the big solenoid post with the heavy gauge wire of the battery is for the purpose of charging the battery off the magneto while the motor is running. The purple and black wires are to run the headlights and should have a small rectangular plug that goes to the one on the hood off the lights. Also, I found out the other day that if you hood the black wire's terminal to the solenoid the engine will start on the first click which is actually your headlight positio n on the switch and the starter will stay engaged so watch where you hook it at at the solenoid there should be a terminal for it somewhere there either on or at the solenoid.
    revolverguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2016, 02:58 PM
    My wiring diagram shows the orange wire going to the solenoid, but there is no orange wire on the mower, and no clip on the solenoid for another wire, need help on this on, thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reading a Murray Riding Mower Wiring Diagram [ 3 Answers ]

I hope to disengage the 3-4 safety switches on my Murray riding mower in an attempt To use the mower to pull a plugger. I've located the wiring diagram but I'm not sure How to read it. I hope to jump from wire to wire by inserting a wire but I'm not Sure where the switches are located. I'm...

Solenoid noise non-starting Craftsman Riding Mower? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My 17 HP Craftsman riding mower (Model No. 917.270710) has been starting with difficulty all season. First, it cranked but failed to start unless I put the battery charger on it. After a couple of months of starting it this way, it would not start even with the charger on. A friend...

Wiring solenoid for a murray rider [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced solenoid for my murray rider and forgot how the wiring goes.. 3 post dual mount...

Solenoid trouble for murray riding lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray riding lawn mower and for some reason the solenoid keeps going bad. I maybe get one or two mowing jobs done before I have to replace it. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks Kim

View more questions Search