Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iridium Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes
    Hi

I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005.

I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that income to my 2005 income in increases my tax liability and if I wld have filed it in 2004 it would have been a total return. I had started working in Sep 2004 so the wages for 2004 were not so much and I was eligible for a full refund.

Please advise how should I file the wages for Dec 2004. Should I refile the taxes for 2004 and 2005 separately or should I include the Dec 2004 wages in my 2005 Tax return.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Iridium:

The key element is when did you get the Dec 2004 wages? If you got them in 2004, then they should be claimed on the 2004 return. If you got them in 2005, then you must claim them on your 2005 tax return.

Look at the W-2 for the Dec 2004 wages. Is it for 2004 or 2005? If 2005, then you must file for 2005. If 2004, then an amended return is in order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYC Taxes married filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I just received my tax returns from my accountant and he claims my wife and I owe ~$4000 to NYS. Combined we made roughly $165,000 split evenly between us both. Scenario: I lived in NJ last year until November after my wedding-my wife in NY the entire year. I worked...

Filing taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not happily married and I have one child. For the past 4 years I have been filing my taxes separately.4 the past year I'm the only1 that has worked and supported the 3 of us. My husband hasn't filed taxes in 2 years and owes the government. If I file him as a dependent will the fact that he...

Regarding H1B and Taxes for partial of 2005 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Atlanta Tax Expert, I have gone through all of your expert advises, I found that, you are giving great suggestions to all of the member. Basically, I have H1B for 2005. I came to USA for the first time in October 4th 2005. Since then I am working with the same company. At the end of 2005,...

Filing Taxes for 2001-2004 [ 1 Answers ]

Since 2002, after a huge company layoff, I have been alternating between unemployment and underemployment. I have been moving in and out of the country and states too frequently, so I lost tracks of all the companies I had worked in and my W2's. I have not filed any tax return since 2002. Right...

Filing Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have used both TurboTax and Hrblock online tax preparation forms, and on both, I get that whether I am claimed as a dependent or not, my refund is the same, when I think I would get a bigger refund if Im not claimed as a dependent, at least that's how its worked in the past.

View more questions Search