Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamieo29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Extending pressure relief valve
    We are selling our house and the buyers did the home inspection. We have been told that the extending pressure relief valve to exterior of garage has a slight leak from pressure relief valve. What is that and how much might that run me in Columbia S.C. to fix?
    jamieo29
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Hi Jamie:

A few questions before I can offer answers.

I am figuring that this is a T&P valve (temperature and pressure relief valve associated with a WATER HEATER, Or is this a pressure relief valve from a HEATING (BOILER) SYSTEM?).

Also, do you have a sprinkler system or a recirculating hot water line.. I am wondering if have expansion issues?

Answer those questions... see what we can do.

Talk soon... Mark

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Two solutions come to mind. 1) If Massplumbers question,
    do you have a sprinkler system or a recirculating hot water line?
    ( or a check valve/ backflow preventer)is yes then you need a expansion tank installed on the water heaters cold water supply. **or** 2) There may simply be a small piece of trash caught under the seat of the T&P valve. Jiggle the handle and see if the leak doesn't stop.
    If all else fails then just replace the valve. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure relief valve on new water heater leaks. [ 3 Answers ]

I had a new water heater installed recently. Since the installation, the pressure relief valve has been leaking. The installer tested the house water pressure and said it was too high. I just had a new house water pressure regulator installed @ an even lower water pressure than before. The old...

Hot Water Heater pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

On my water heater, I have the Pressure Relief Valve on top. There is also a (plugged) PRV outlet on the side of the heater. Can I move my valve to the side outlet? Is there a reason that it may have been installed at the top as opposed to the side? Thanks

Lwater heater pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

Relief valve leaks sometimes causing small flood, unit is rheem 50 gal gas fired unit. Thermostat is set at the mid setting, water tempurature is not exessive. Should I change the relief valve

Pressure relief valve / water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking valve on my waterheater , do I need to replace pressure valve , if so what is correct way of doing so ?

Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a State Select brand water heater (40 gallon) which is about 4-5 years old. It recently has begun to leak from the pressure relief valve, and is leaking a lot:( , especially after taking a shower... Is this a simple fix of replacing the valve or something more serious? Any and all...

View more questions Search