Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icdavid26 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Can some, should some one take action if threatened
    I met a girl on craigs list under strickly platonic.
    We became friends. She had just moved in to her first apartment, and she had no furniture.
    She is 19, I am 35...
    I bought her a lamp, Vacuum,chair, pillows, and a few other things...
    Then I rented at rent a center a bed room set.

3 months latter ( I paid all the bills from rent a center.)
    I lost my job, and could not pay for the bed room set. I told her, and sent a letter, and gave her the phone number of the rent a center, and the payment, and mentioned if she wanted to take over the payments, other wise rent a center was going to take it back...

She, her sister, & Mom called back, and threatened me... her mom & sister are the type that can really & would follow through on the threats...
    The threats were, wrecking my car. Do me physical damage, and saying I raped the girl...

Question
    Can I take out a restraining order
    Can/should I tell the police I was threatened?
    Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by icdavid26
    I met a girl on craigs list under strickly platonic.
    We became friends. she had just moved in to her first apartment, and she had no furniture.
    she is 19, I am 35.......
    I bought her a lamp, Vaccume,chair, pillows, and a few other things.....
    Then I rented at rent a center a bed room set.

3 months latter ( I paid all the bills from rent a center.)
    I lost my job, and could not pay for the bed room set. I told her, and sent a letter, and gave her the phone number of the rent a center, and the payment, and mentioned if she wanted to take over the payments, other wise rent a center was going to take it back......

she, her sister, & Mom called back, and threatened me...her mom & sister are the type that can really & would follow through on the threats....
    the threats were, wrecking my car. do me physical damage, and saying I raped the girl.....

question
    can I take out a restraining order
    can/should I tell the police I was threatened?
    thank you

Certainly you can try to take out a restraining order. With that type of age difference and all those purchases when you were strictly platonic I'm sure you know you're going to raise eyebrows. I don't know that it changes your legal position but there are going to be questions and she is going to have her side.

What are they threatening you about? Returning the bedroom set?

Report it to the Police and attempt to get a restraining order if you are being threatened.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Ok, sorry I can see this girl, perhaps dressed in a catholic school girl, innocent child clothes, telling about this old man who acted like a friend just to take advantage of her.

And to be honest, I am sorry, even I don't believe the strickly platonic part, and if I don't believe it, I don't know of anyone that would. So what was her listing under Craigs list ? Was she listed under bed needed and you offered her a free one? Come on, it was a dating type add right?
    And you were buying things hopeing to get lucky??

But then after you can not pay, they now want to black mail you, any opinon as to this is most likely what they do, and most likely they are getting things from others, or find one at atime to get things from.
    Sorry but this is so common on sites like that.

So you report them for the threats, they deny it, but at least you have a police report, and you report them every time they threaten you.

The state you live in has its own rules for restraining orders, you will have to check, not enough proof in the area I live, but may be enough for yours

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Threatened by collection agency [ 6 Answers ]

Less than two weeks ago we received our first phone call from some "company" that only left their number and a name (Kim Carroll). Ms. Carroll instructed my wife to call her back immediately I returned the call and found that Ms. Carroll was "getting ready to file arbitration paper on behalf of...

Being threatened with Fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend of mine that is stating they are going to state that a charge on their account was fraud. I have my paycheck deposited into their account. They informed me that they wrote a check to pay for my cell phone bill. It never showed. I went online and paid the bill, which came out of...

Threatened By Debt collector [ 3 Answers ]

Back in 99 I had a Sunoco credit card I filed bankruptcy in Feb 01. Some how this credit card wasn't included in the Bankruptcy case. The debt was sold to Asset Acceptance corp. I've been harassed by this company for a year now I explained about the bankruptcy case and they told me they would...

Threatened miscarage? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am just in to my 7th week pregnancy. The night before yesterday, I had an unusual ache in my lower area, not abdomen. It only felt tneder when I sat down or ran. The next day(yesterday) I had a really dark brown bleed followed by a little dark red. I laid up for the rest of the day and by the...

View more questions Search